The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

share your aloe... ( ! )

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 2 1
by badplanter on September 10, 2006 09:55 AM
I was wondering if anybody would want to post a pic of their aloe(s) here....just wanted to check everybodys out!

Mine is currently not worthy of posting.....

(I feel like i'm posting a question here, but i'm not! [Big Grin] )

Thanks!

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Tonya on September 10, 2006 10:19 AM
Here is a pic of my aloes when I moved then off the steps for the Tropical Storm a week or so ago. The little one on the left is the reason I found this place. It had rotted off at the root line and margaret e pell helped me save it! Now it is quite healthy!

-

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Tonya on September 10, 2006 10:23 AM
This one was a rescue from a nursery. They were going to toss it because it got frosted on last fall. My neighbor took it and forgot all about it on top of her freezer in a dark room. I'll get an updated pic tomorrow...it is HUGE now!

-

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by badplanter on September 10, 2006 10:31 AM
Wow, thanks for sharing Tonya! [thumb]

Very impressive!

My aloe is rather small, don't know how old it is though... not nearly half the size of the bigger aloe in your first pic...the color of mine is a light green...(not enough sun, probably)
It seems to droop as well, which makes it un-picture worthy... ( [Roll Eyes] )

Thanks again for sharing, Tonya! [thumb]

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Tonya on September 10, 2006 10:45 AM
If it is droopy, are you overwatering? Here is what mine looked like when I came here... [Embarrassed]

-

Downright pitiful!

My big one outside was a Wal-Mart special for either $1.99 or $2.99 [thumb] Is your inside or outside? They love LOTS of sun.

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by badplanter on September 10, 2006 10:49 AM
quote:
My big one outside was a Wal-Mart special for either $1.99 or $2.99
[thumb] [shocked] [thumb] Wow!

Mine is inside, by a west-facing window...but only a few parts of mine droop...others are fine, and some, well, aren't...

Your little aloe had a great improvment! You "brought it back form the dead!" [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Tonya on September 10, 2006 11:12 AM
quote:
You "brought it back form the dead!"
I give that credit to margaret...I just know how to follow directions! [thumb] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by badplanter on September 10, 2006 11:15 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumb]
Well then...Way to go Margaret!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumb]

-
 -
by margaret e. pell on September 11, 2006 04:15 AM
[Embarrassed]

I actually own a digital camera, I'm home from work early, and it's sunny. OK. Now I have to figure out how to use it and post the pics. I'll try...

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Kratz7 on September 11, 2006 06:37 AM
Here's a digital photo of my aloe plants ....they are called C.J.'s Aloe as the main original plant belonged to my sister C.J..
I have had the Aloe plnt's babies for 10 years s, since she passed away. I love to give the babies away in her memory.

-

Let me know if you would like a baby aloe....to try...maybe we could swap for it

Kratz7

-

Kratz7 Photos
by comfrey on September 11, 2006 09:40 AM
I have 4-5 pots of aloe some look ok some not and some need repotted, but I'll get pictures in the morning and post them. badplanter...go ahead and post a picture of yours, maybe some one can help you make it healthier or happier.

-
 -
by badplanter on September 11, 2006 09:43 AM
Thanks comfrey!

quote:
badplanter...go ahead and post a picture of yours, maybe some one can help you make it healthier or happier.

As soon as i find that camera.... [Roll Eyes] *sigh*

I know my aloe needs to be re-planted, i still have it in a plastic pot....

-
 -
by LandOfOz on September 11, 2006 10:41 AM
Here is my photo of my cheap walmart aloe. I am getting ready to put it out in full sun soon, so it will turn a healthy red!
 -

-
Sarah - Zone 5b/6
 -
by Tonya on September 11, 2006 10:59 PM
This is a recent pic of the second one I posted...BOY has it grown!

-

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by comfrey on September 12, 2006 02:27 AM
Ok..here are mine, The middle one in the bottom row, I have had this pot going for 15 years and this old pot doesn't even have a drainage hole in the bottom, I have removed everything except one plant many times from it, but it is really a producer of babies and thrives even with neglect. The one on the bottom left doesn't get much light or water...And the bigger ones on the top row need to be repotted as does the single plant on the bottom right.
 -  -
 -  -  -

-
 -
by Tonya on September 12, 2006 03:17 AM
NICE, Comfrey! Love your pots! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by comfrey on September 12, 2006 09:58 AM
Thanks Tonya, as I said my aloe plants all need something or another, mostly just re potting would help mine. I collect flower pots from anywhere I can find them...I have so many and they are not all in the same place it is a chore just to find the right pot for each plant. Organizing all my flower pots into the same area is my winter project this year. I have a huge enclosed back porch with a wooden work bench across half of it, right now it is filled with this and that, boxes & jars. DH use to have a bunch of his stuff there, but recently gave the whole porch to me...It will be my plant/seed room. Its also my laundry room and its also home to a few plants that need protecting from the cats, the biggest Aloe are there, they use to be in the living room window until they were knocked out of the window by the cats and one pot got broken, so I relocated them to the porch...It has windows that all face south.

-
 -
by badplanter on September 15, 2006 07:35 AM
Well, i finally took a few pics of my aloe--well, not me, my lil' brother....but anyway, i nkow they aren't too good, but lets give this a shot....

-

-

-

-
 -
by Tonya on September 15, 2006 08:23 PM
Cool, Mark! I would move this one to a window with more light if possible. It looks pretty healthy, but more light will cause it to stand up better.....

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by comfrey on September 19, 2006 03:07 AM
[clappy] [clappy] [clappy] Thanks for posting your picture badplanter...yours doesn't look that bad.

-
 -
by tkhooper on September 19, 2006 05:13 AM
Hi everyone,

Mine looks like Kratz7's aloe except the leaves are much wider and mine lays down rather than standing upright. And of course right now it has a 2 foot flower stock on it. Wish I hadn't dropped the camera lol. It doesn't want to take pictures anymore for some reason. I'm such a clutz.

-
 -
by badplanter on September 25, 2006 07:23 AM
I just wanted to let ya'll know that i just repotted my aloe into a clay pot, with newer, hopefully better, cacti soil!
I'll get pics on as soon as i can, or if i happen to see a sudden improvement! [thumb]

thank you all again for posting & sharing such great aloes!

-
 -
by cinta on September 29, 2006 09:46 AM
Well see them below. This one did not work

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by cinta on September 29, 2006 09:47 AM
Here are of mine LOL!!!

-

-

by comfrey on September 29, 2006 11:20 AM
Very nice Cinta! I love how you have all the succulents grouped together..It looks really nice.

-
 -
by Tonya on September 29, 2006 07:42 PM
Beautiful!! I love the grouping as well!! What types of aloe are those? I am a newbie to the cacti/succulent obsession! [Smile]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by susang on September 30, 2006 03:19 AM
Hello, I'm new here, but here's a pic of mine anyway. It's a little wilted from being re potted again, but now it's going baby crazy.
 -
by angelblossom on September 30, 2006 08:30 AM
good photos every one. Mine needs repotting but..., I guess I'll wait until next spring to do it [Roll Eyes] [Wink]
 -

[wavey] hello Susang and welcome to the garden helper!! Looking forward to more posts from you!

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by comfrey on September 30, 2006 11:21 AM
Angelblossom...Yours looks just like one of mine does. It is really great to see every ones Aloe's, so far I haven't seen a bad aloe plant, some us need to repot, but that is part of having plants...We have to always repot things and during the gardening (outdoor) season...repotting something just seems to get pushed to the back burner. A gardeners work is never finished!!! [thumb] [thumb] [thumb]

-
 -
by cinta on September 30, 2006 11:24 AM
Hello susang. Nice pot of aloe you have there.

Thank you all for the compliments. Everyone have some beauties I have been admiring. The Succulents will have to come in soon it is getting cold. The summer sun really brings out the colors.

Tonya, the first one was identified as Aloe Green Gold. I do not know the name of the second one. I got that one in a trade as a NOID. It is bigger than any of the Aloes I have. I like you monster Aloe also.

by comfrey on October 04, 2006 03:12 AM
I just got a new Aloe it is in a 2" pot and when I got it was so dry that you could lift soil and plant out all together...At least I know it wasn't over watered [Big Grin] Anyway it is called Tiger Aloe, notice the little bumps it has on the leaves, that's what got my attention, I hope it grows fast, it is suppose to bloom spikes of bell shaped orange flowers. I plan to repot it sometime in the future, to make sure it has good soil that will drain properly and also I want to put it into a clay pot.

-

-

-

-
 -
by badplanter on October 04, 2006 05:12 AM
oh wow!

Thats one cool aloe! [Big Grin]
Absolutely amazing!

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on October 04, 2006 06:17 AM
Comfrey - I had one of those a few years ago - I think mine was labeled Tigers Jaws - because of the spines that face inward like a mouth of sharp teeth. Unfortunately, mine got black spots all over it - never did find out what that was from.

I hope you have great success with yours - it's a very nice looking plant! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Tonya on October 04, 2006 10:34 AM
That is one cool looking aloe, Comfrey! I love the texture! Good find! I hope it does great for you!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by gomerp618 on October 22, 2006 01:42 AM
by Jiffymouse on October 22, 2006 05:48 AM
gomer, those are awesome! thanks for sharing
by myndful on October 22, 2006 08:01 AM
I really liked the third one, what kind was it?

Here are mine:  -

The little one is tied to a chopstick...it was doing some really wierd curving growth thing, so I'm trying to encourage it to stand up straight.

http://myndfulmeanderings.blogspot.com
by comfrey on October 22, 2006 10:25 AM
[flower] Gomer....Those are all nice looking Aloes!!!!! I love the third one also, do you
know the name of it??? I also noticed in your
photos all your plants look very nice. [flower]

[flower] myndful......Yours Look good also [flower]

-
 -
by gomerp618 on October 22, 2006 11:50 AM
I don't know the name of the third one.. it was labeled 'aloe'.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by comfrey on October 22, 2006 01:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gomerp618:
I don't know the name of the third one.. it was labeled 'aloe'.
Does it make babies at sometime or do you know, I wondering about if you would be able to start a new one off if somehow. I'm going to search around, that is so interesting, And I know there are 100's (bunches anyway) of different Aloe varieities. And Thank You for sharing your Aloes!!!!!

-
 -
by gomerp618 on October 22, 2006 11:06 PM
comfrey, yes it does make babies....there's one in the pot right next to it and if memory serves me correctly I had removed one once before and gave it to my mom.

I don't know what kind the second one is either, but that thing makes babies often too. There is one in the pot again right now, one in another pot I had removed before and I gave one to my mom.

I do love aloes, I just wish the stores were better at labeling them. Most of the time the label will just say aloe. The one store I usually buy from does the same thing with cactus. They just put cactus assorted on them too.

by Tonya on October 22, 2006 11:45 PM
I love your aloes gomer!! They are very nice....wish I could find some like that around here!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by mhuff on October 24, 2006 04:30 AM
I think your third one is actually a type of haworthia...I can't remember the exact species right now, but hopefully it will come to me

Melinda
by myndful on October 24, 2006 08:26 AM
I'd say you're right...

Haworthia

Looks like it to me! Oh goody, another plant to search for and get in trouble over...

by gomerp618 on October 24, 2006 09:05 AM
woohoo! Looks like it finally has a name.. thanks!!!

by comfrey on October 24, 2006 10:29 AM
Wow that is great that it has been identified: Here is a place where they have one simular for sale: Haworthia

-
 -
by April07 on October 27, 2006 07:11 AM
Want to share my new aleo but I don't know it name.
A friend of mine gave it to me on 25/10/06 and I am hoping it will grow big,big and big...... =)

Here is my aleo
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/april07_07/album/576460762332225351/photo/294928803472688583/0
by jbckwth on October 31, 2006 12:54 PM
I need help with my aloe plant. It is 6 yrs old and getting very top heavy. I have to keep inside as live in Colorado. I am afraid am going to lose it. Please help my aloe. Can it be cut off and survive. The stem is very long and will not hold up the top.It is curving around.. I would show you a picture of it but do not know how. It used to look as good as the ones that seen here.

Jean
by myndful on October 31, 2006 07:43 PM
When you say it is curving around, what exactly do you mean? Is it floppy, or still firm?

From personal experience, I would say repot, maybe a little deeper into the soil, and find better light. Go to page 3 of this topic to see what I did with my curvy aloe - it is looking much better since I posted that pic.

Good luck!

by comfrey on November 01, 2006 10:54 AM
Jean...A picture would really help us help you...You can go Here to learn about how to post pictures using photo bucket, which a lot of people here use.

I would say repotting would help your Aloe, I would not cut it off, as it would probable kill your plant.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: