The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sedums do bring joy!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Sedums as Houseplants| Next thread: See my veggies Weezie.. »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on September 06, 2006 04:54 AM
It's another rainy cool day here, but my sedums are all blooming.
Most were cuttings or gotten in a plant swap.
They do very well here, when the deer leave them alone! [Roll Eyes]

This is the only white blooming, other than the variegated that I posted in the plant propagation thread.
 -

Got this one in a plant swap in Connecticut a year ago May:
 -

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by plants 'n pots on September 06, 2006 05:04 AM
This was another very small one I got in trade - it fell completely over in the rain on Saturday, so I staked it and it's doing fine now.

-

This was the largest of the sedums that I got in the Connecticut trade. The woman who had them referred to them as "weeds", and didn't care much for them at all!!!
 -

Here is the full plant in the corner of the pond garden:
 -

-
 -
by Triss on September 06, 2006 05:07 AM
Those look great Lynne!!! Glad they are blooming so nice for you and bringing happiness to your day!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Owllady on September 06, 2006 06:25 AM
Yeah, those are beautiful sedums! How funny that somebody disliked them enough to call them weeds.

I'm just discovering the joys of sedums .... I have 4 or 5 kinds. I most recently got 6 blue-green ones at end-of-season sale at Kmart. One little piece broke off, and has rooted in the shot glass I put it in! (~with water in it!)

I live in zone 4a, and since so many sedums are zoned for 3, I'll be getting more. Love how they spread when they're happy!

Owllady (Marcia)
by penny in ontario on September 06, 2006 07:36 AM
Very nice Lynne!!

-
 -

-
by comfrey on September 06, 2006 07:47 AM
Those are so pretty. The varigated one is absolutly beautiful I seen it earlier, I had never seen one like that before. I have one like the second photo you posted. They are so hardy, my kittens play in mine, I am surprised mine even bloomed at all.

-
 -
by ND farm girl on September 06, 2006 08:30 AM
The picture of the full plant one on the corner of the pond. Love that arangement you have there. Are those yellow canna's and what are the tall flowers behind them? I have my first sedum this year and didn't know they were going to be so nice! I didn't know there were other kinds, now I want one of all of them. I wasn't sure what to plant them with, so this arrangement you have gets me started - thanks!

PattyM
by gardeningmomma on September 06, 2006 09:10 AM
Love the "weeds". They are awesome!
by plants 'n pots on September 06, 2006 09:58 AM
Thanks, all! [Embarrassed]

Patty - yes, it's dwarf yellow cannas.
The tall purple flowers are cleome.
They have teeny seeds that scatter everywhere, if you're not careful to collect them. I don't mind a few freebie plants each year - the ones you see here are actually from seeds from 2 years ago that somehow germinated this year!

I've got plenty of seeds from the cleome if you'd like me to send you some - PM me.

-
 -
by penny in ontario on September 06, 2006 10:55 PM
I would love some Lynne...sending you a pm now!

-
 -

-
by Tonya on September 07, 2006 12:04 AM
My sedum is about to bloom also! [thumb] I am excited!!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by buzylady on September 07, 2006 12:07 AM
Yes they all look great! Your cleome is very nice. You say they are from seeds form 2 yrs. ago? My cleome have gone very weak from yr to yr. I got seeds form someone for white ones and those were a good size. But my pink ones I've for a few yrs. are very thin and not very tall. Not at all like the first yr. Any ideas why?
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by plants 'n pots on September 07, 2006 02:56 AM
I have had some like that too, Diane.
I usually pull out most of the seedlings that sprout, and let 2 or 3 plants grow. I was pleasantly surprised that these did so well this year. I'll probably be sorry next year when I'm pulling out all the babies!

If you'd like to PM me your address, I can send you some seeds - they will be the purple and pink mixed together most likely, I have much more of those than the individual colors.

-
 -
by Pburgh on September 07, 2006 04:12 AM
Just when those coneflowers are finishing that sedum autumn joy starts putting on a show. What beautiful flowers!! I love the combinations you put together with the cannas, sedum, coneflowers, zinnias and cleome.

My gardens
http://community.webshots.com/user/pburghp
by ND farm girl on September 07, 2006 05:14 AM
I love that lush green grass in the background too! Oh - green grass - I had terrible brown dry grass this year! [Eek!] [Frown] [Eek!]

PattyM
by plants 'n pots on September 07, 2006 06:16 AM
What a good eye you have, Pburgh!
I looked in your webshots albums and you have very lovely gardens as well! [flower]

Patty - we had crispy crunchy grass for most of this summer too!
It wasn't until a week or so ago, when we started having non-stop rain, that everything greened up again, and even needed mowing once again! [Big Grin] Until then, it was like a field of hay!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Sedums as Houseplants| Next thread: See my veggies Weezie.. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: