The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

African Violets Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Carly on June 08, 2005 04:34 AM
An e-pal from Nigeria sent me some stones from African soil, along with some interesting snail shells - biggies, lemme' tell ya' - I'd hate to see the snails . . .

I do have a fake African Violet that looks very real, but I want to do the real thing.

I got one from the fruit store the other day. I want to do an arrangement in a basket - keep the violet itself in its container, put some of my sedum in the soil, amongst the rocks and snails.

I think I'll have to settle for keeping them in the office window, 'cause my window in apartment isn't deep enough.

Can I keep it outside on a ledge under the balcony roof of the apartment above us? I know the leaves don't like to get wet - so I'm wondering if it would be safe there.

I'll post a picture of the arrangement when I've done it.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by MaryReboakly on June 08, 2005 04:53 AM
Carly, that sounds really gorgeous - I love that idea!!! I can't help you with your placement question, but wanted to compliment you on that really great creative idea! I can't wait to see pics. I get so much inspiration from this place! [Wink]

Mary

-
 -
by Carly on June 08, 2005 08:58 AM
Well, I'll probably do it today sometime. And take a few pictures of other things I have on the go.

I'm glad you like this forum, Mary - I think it's the best. I do have to links to Canadian forums and one would think I'd rather use them, being a Canuck, but it's so friendly here.

It's like coming to an ongoing party of some kind.

-
by Cricket on June 08, 2005 09:15 AM
Carly, from what direction are the prevailing winds? Does the rain often get in under the overhang?
by Carly on June 08, 2005 01:37 PM
Mostly from the north-east - and sometimes from the lake which is south.

It very rarely gets in there.

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: