The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Unidentified Succulent- Blossomed and now dying!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: unidentified Succulent| Next thread: Unknown ?Caterpillar »
Back to Thread index
by Ahling on August 09, 2006 05:00 PM
I finally had a plant that was blossoming- it was growing so big and healthy. So I decided tgo repot it as the 'branches' started getting heavy and weighing down and drooping and it seemed the pot was much too small. I repotted it, continued to water and sun it as usual. For the first month, it wasn't growing much more but it wasn't ddying- a few bottom leaves browned but nothing exciting. The growth spurt definitely died. But now, 4 weeks later, the leaves continue to get a little dry at the bottom- and they are suddenly starting to turn yellow before drying out. At least one more each day is turning yellow before it wilts. What is happening? Does it need even more soil or something? The branches too hang over droopy because the leaves are thick and heavy- is this normal? I have photos- I need help. I want to help this gal live!

Thanks! (i can't figure out how to paste/attach the images of the plant)...
by Triss on August 09, 2006 05:19 PM
Could we see some pics?

Here is the link on how to post photos. Hope that helps.
Posting Photos

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by margaret e. pell on August 09, 2006 05:46 PM
We really need to see a pic, as there are so many succulents. Some die after blooming, or the head that bloomed dies. Many more bloom repeatedly for decades. We can't help until we know what you've got.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Ahling on August 10, 2006 11:31 AM
Thanks all- okay let me try to do this. I have four pictures- please note that I had cut off some of the really dead brown tinged leaves. The gist of it is that the bottom leaves are all turning a pale yellow, getting brown edged and then drying up. But i am watering it just like i have and making sure the soil is never dry. Could it actually be getting too much sun? Or I just potted it poorly?
Thanks!~  -  -  -  -
by RugbyHukr on August 10, 2006 01:31 PM
you repotted into too large of a pot. the extra soil in the pot retains water. you are, now, drowning the plant.

p.s. kalanchoe

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Ahling on August 10, 2006 02:09 PM
So, even though they are turning brown- it is more of a drowning issue vs drying? Can I just take out soil or must I use a smaller pot? And finally, is it normal for the heavy leaves to hang over like that? its almost like the roots can't get settled because the branches are pulling them up...
by gardenfairy on August 10, 2006 05:31 PM
I have found that generally any time leaves start to turn yellow and dry up the plant is getting to much water. I would try to water it less frequently, I had a gardenia that I had planted next to my patio and couldn't figure out why. I dug it up and the soil was draining propely because there was concerte under it from the base of the house. As for the the leaves hanging down, maybe you you stake them up until the plant gets a better root system?

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by pinguicula on September 01, 2006 03:16 AM
its kalanchoe thrystiflora
i mhave one too, but u gotta water it very little, evryother week in the summer, once a month in the winter

ty5667457
by Jiffymouse on September 03, 2006 02:47 AM
you can leave it in the bigger pot if you drastically cut the watering. yes, the drooping branches are normal. and they will root when and where they touch the soil. those plants do well in an oblong "window box" shaped planter.
by Tomacco on September 03, 2006 03:32 AM
Hi Ahling, Your kalanchoe thyrsiflora is leggy!! I don't have one of these but from what I've read, care is similar to jades. Here are some photos:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/54964/

I would suggest a few things in addition to the fine advice you've gotten already.

1. From each leaning stem, I would cut a 2-to-3" topper and root those cutting. They'll take quickly.
2. Decorative moss can fool you into thinking it needs watering. Until this little guy is better, mebbe it can go?
3. There are ring stakes that clip to the side of a pot. This may help sturdy up your stems until, as gardenfairy mentioned, the root system improves. Example: http://snipurl.com/vtm3

Repotting into a proper size for the plant's root ball is best, rather than removing soil from a larger pot. I don't know about your plant but my jades like to get snug in their pots. Then I know it's time to move them to larger quarters.

Acquiring a moisture meter will take the guesswork out of when to water.

Hope this helps [Smile]

Tomacco

That coffee was so strong, it swallowed the cream...
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l268/Tomacco1/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: unidentified Succulent| Next thread: Unknown ?Caterpillar »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: