The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is this normal?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Is this normal???| Next thread: is this normal?? (maple tree chat) »
Back to Thread index
by Zenith on July 21, 2006 07:07 PM
Is this normal?, I re-potted it as it had been a bit neglected for a while.
So at the nursery while buying the correct potting mix I had him take a look he said it was normal just regrowth from damage etc. it was late afternoon so I'm not sure in the light if he noticed the dots like mealy bug or something on it or not.

What is it? Is this normal as at the nursery I was told.
 -

-
by margaret e. pell on July 22, 2006 12:12 AM
I have heard that called 'corking.' It is a normal responce to some irritant/damage, unsightly, will never heal, and doesn't bother the plant at all. All kinds of things can cause it; bugs (I see no obvious sign of mealies in your pic, check at or below the soil line), bug spray, fertilizer in overhead water, my extremely hard water has corked a few of mine, sunburn will sometimes leave this, lots of things... If you can figure out what caused it, stop doing that (duh!). Give it the best conditions you can and the new growth should be clean.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Zenith on July 22, 2006 12:22 AM
Well what must have caused it is this is it was in a pot full of garbage from a gum tree other weeds etc. were growing in the pot.
I replanted it in some good cacti mix and a better pot so it's much better off now and getting more sun before it was in the shade a bit too much I think.

It's not looking to bad in the new pot I think and its sure to be much better off now [Smile]

Here's a picture of my two Barrel Cactus  -

The other one need replanting to, small pot and it was retaining way to much water.
So both of them should grow much better now [grin]

quote:
Give it the best conditions you can and the new growth should be clean.
Done [grin]

quote:
(I see no obvious sign of mealies in your pic, check at or below the soil line)
I didn't see anything when I replanted it
by dodge on August 03, 2006 01:33 PM
zenith

They are adorable..........
I think it might be the way they age..
I have a bunch around , some I grew from seed .. Just been in the same pot for many moons.. Look great to me.

dodge [flower]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Zenith on August 04, 2006 10:47 PM
Hello dodge [wavey]

They both seem happy enough in the new pots [Smile] seem to be getting healthier now the weather is slowly warming up.
I imagine when the long hot summer is in full swing that I will see a positive result of replating and repositioning them in a better spot with more sun and on the up side doing it now they have time to adjust where as if I did it in summer they wouldn't as much.
by dodge on August 05, 2006 12:45 AM
zenith

Cactus loves to be crowded.....I mix sand into mine and havent moved them in ages.

will find a photo.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Is this normal???| Next thread: is this normal?? (maple tree chat) »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: