The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Please Help| Next thread: Please Help!!! »
Back to Thread index
by cherbear on July 11, 2004 06:11 AM
I am very new to gardening and my husband has bought me 4 Oriental Lillies, 2 Dwarf Phlox and a Hibiscus. I have NO IDEA how to care for any of them. Am I supposed to deadhead the lillies? Do they keep blooming or just a one time bloomer? I know nothing about any of these flowers and I don't want to kill them. He made a new flower bed because we didn't have enough room in the one we had. He's done a lot of work for me and I have no idea what to do. Any help anyone can give would be GREATLY appreciated!
Happy growing!
[wayey]
by weezie13 on July 11, 2004 08:12 AM
Cherbear,
That husband of yours sounds like a keeper!!! [thumb]
Wow, you lucky girl!!!

The Oriental Lilies bloom once.
I do cut off the tops of mine when there are done.
Just so the plant can put it's energy back into the bulb for food next year.
Other's may have other helpful hints and may be along shortly...

The phlox may rebloom for you, just not a big as the first bloom as the first one......

And do you know what kind of Hibiscus you have by any chance??????

Weezie

P.S. Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way! We are a very nice of gardeners here.

And don't hesitate to keep asking questions, we love to help new gardener's learn gardening!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by njoynit on July 11, 2004 08:16 AM
your oriental lillys are a once bloomer can pull the dead flowers off but leave your foliage it will store nutrients to bloom next year.
dwarf phlox its an annual if you keep the faded flowers pulled/pinched off the flowers seem to stay larger.I use to grow some peach pink whites and grew blue salvia behind it with white assylm in front.It may re seed for you in place and the strongest sees will live^ thrive.
I need to I know more about your hibiscus...is a big family.what color?is it 2 tones? solid?and are your leaves shiney or fuzzy.if shiney leaves is tropical,being VA they sell both in your area.Hrdy hibiscus usually in white,pink or red,fushia& can have red or pink centers or white. tropicals are where you get the colors like orange,liliac,peach &yellow.

n joy your plants [wayey]

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by cherbear on July 11, 2004 05:18 PM
Thank you both so much for your help.

I kept the tags that came in all my plants so I would know what I have.

My Hibiscus tag says it's a Red Luna, but the flowers are more of a burgandy color and they are HUGE!!!!

The tag for the dwarf phlox says they are a perennial. Is it lying to me? If so, my hubby will be really mad. That was one of the reasons he bought it.

He keeps buying me all this stuff and I have no idae what to do with it.

He bought me a beautiful rose bush for Mother's Day and I have learned quite a bit about them on the net. It is thriving! She loves me! I have been taking excellent care of her and I guess my hubby thought I was doing so well with that, he would buy me a bunch of other stuff. So now, I'm scrambling trying to learn as much as I can.

What do I do to them in the winter. Do I cut everything back to ground level?

I am so new to all of this stuff. I've never been good at this before. I tried to grow some things in Houston, but killed it all in about 3 weeks. I think I was just too young when I tried it and was afraid to try again.

I have gladiola bulbs blooming all over the yard, gerbera daisies by the front door and around my mailbox, a small peony, mums from last fall that will be blooming again in a couple of months, dahlia bulbs in full bloom, my rose bush that is about 3 times bigger than when I got her, now the lillies, hibiscus, dwarf phlox and oh yeah, he also bought these little things called Celosia???

I have no idea what they are. They are really different looking.

Anyway, thank you again for your help. I am so glad I found this site. I am really loving it! Everyone seems very nice and so helpful! I just hope I don't drive everyone crazy with all my questions.
Happy growing everyone!
by frustratedattimes on July 12, 2004 03:04 PM
Your rose will go dormant this fall/winter after it frosts hard. Mine here in Georgia, have new growth coming on year around. After it has gone dormant, cut the canes back to about 10 - 12 inches long. Then in the spring it will grow back bigger and better than before. I have one rose bush that is now only 2 years old, it is 5 ft tall and 6 foot across, and blooms constantly from early spring till fall. Also, use a good fertilizer around your rose bush every 3 - 4 weeks during the growing season. I planted a bareroot "Blue Girl" this spring, changed my mind about just having red roses, it is gorgeous. Good luck with your new flowers, and welcome.
[wayey]

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Please Help| Next thread: Please Help!!! »
Back to Thread index