The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

graptopetalum superbum

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Grapevines - Muscadines| Next thread: Grass »
Back to Thread index
by joclyn on March 14, 2006 11:29 AM
aka pretty in pink.

just got one of these. really cool looking - like the hens-n-chicks only it's got a really nice lavendar tinge to the leaves.

any idea about caring for it - they couldn't tell me anything at the flower show as all the people manning the booth were just helping out for the show and weren't people that worked in their nursery.

what's it's sunlight requirement? what about propogating? thx!
by Aaron D on March 14, 2006 12:09 PM
Well this is a succulent plant related to the other Crassulas, native to central america especially mexico... treat it like any other succulent... many require summer watering... and make sure the potting medium is quick draining, prefers direct sun. just like echverias this plant will "branch" with new plantlets on the tips... you can cut the branches and pot them or just let the plant grow into an impressive clump [Smile] [Smile]
by joclyn on March 14, 2006 06:50 PM
[wavey] aaron

it's in a clay pot with bits of bark.

it's got a flower stalk right now...i can just see the buds starting to form. there are a couple of leaves on the base of that stalk.

is it okay to leave it under a full spectrum plant light? i've got it on a timer so that it comes on at dawn and goes off at dusk.
by Aaron D on March 15, 2006 09:59 AM
it should be ok... but usually even artifical lights aren't bright enough... but see if the gowth is uniform and doesnt become 'stalky'
by joclyn on April 02, 2006 01:11 PM
actually, i left it on the shelf by the window. same with the jade plant that i bought at the same time.

they're both doing okay there. it's west-facing and they get bright indirect light all afternoon (the house next door blocks the direct sunlight).

in fact the gsb is getting ready to bloom! i can't wait to see what it looks like!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Grapevines - Muscadines| Next thread: Grass »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: