The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Saguaro cactus growth

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: sago question| Next thread: SALAD DRESSING RECIPES »
Back to Thread index
by Erich on March 13, 2006 03:59 AM
I received a saguaro cactus as a gift almost ten years ago. In that time, it has remaned very healthy, but has grown maybe only two inches taller (it now is slightly less than six inches tall). I know it is a slow-growing cactus, but is their any way to make it grow better. What are your experiences?
by Jiffymouse on March 13, 2006 11:20 AM
everything i have heard is that if you got 2 inches in hight, you've done well. that is why the big ones in the dessert are now a protected species. it just takes too long for them to get that big.
by FRITO on March 23, 2006 10:46 AM
Hi, Saguaro are a large slow growing species. It looks like you live in Milwaukee and that enviroment isnt similar to their native habitat where there growing conditions are optimum. Maybe its time to repot it? 10 years in the same pot with the same soil is too long. They like heat an sun. a fresh cactus soil (well draining) with a bit larger pot will encourage larger growth. now is the perfect time to do this in the spring.

do you have any pictures?

goodluck,

Luke

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sago question| Next thread: SALAD DRESSING RECIPES »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: