The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Secret rose - sun vs shade preference

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Second Harvest?| Next thread: Sedum »
Back to Thread index
by CarolynB on October 31, 2006 09:51 AM
I’m trying to decide whether to leave my Secret rose in its current full-sun location, or move it to a partial-shade location with about 3-4 hours per day of afternoon sun. I’ve read that Secret prefers cooler climates, or partial shade in hot climates. (My area has hot, dry summers – zone 9). I’ve read conflicting things about where to plant Secret; one person said his Secret does great in an eastern-exposure partial-shade spot, while another person said her Secret was gangly and had fewer blooms when in a partial-shade spot.

I’d like to hear other experiences with regard to how your Secret roses do in full sun or partial shade (including what your climate is), and what you would recommend. Thanks.
by digital flower on November 02, 2006 08:00 AM
I live on the border of Zone 6 and 7 and would never consider planting any roses in part shade. That is just for my area though. CT can get quite hot in the summer. I have never grown 'Secret' but have photographed it before and it is lovely.

Daily Gardening Blog

Garden Photography

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Second Harvest?| Next thread: Sedum »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: