The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Banana Trees (Belle??)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: banana trees| Next thread: banana trees, dividing »
Back to Thread index
by Plant_Killer on September 14, 2006 08:08 AM
I have what I think is a Belle(??) Banana Tree. The tree is doing great and actually has 4 baby trees starting around it. What is the best way to remove one of the baby's? My Mom really wants one. Help!

Thanks!!
Deanna
by Longy on September 14, 2006 11:36 AM
What is the best way to remove one of the baby's? My Mom really wants one.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Water the tree well. Then just take a sharp spade and slice vertically down into the rootball. You should try and get some roots with the sucker. You can trim up the roots if you need to. Transplant immediately, give a drink with seaweed or kelp extract and you're done. It should be no problem. Bananas are pretty bulletproof. If you want fruit from your plants, you're best off having only one sucker allowed to grow to maturity. So remove all but one. The ones with the pointed leaf are fruit bearers. The rounded leaved ones don't do so good.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Plant_Killer on September 17, 2006 10:51 PM
Thank you very much for the info. I really appreciate it. I have one more question. At what temperature do we need to pull it out of the ground?
by Longy on September 18, 2006 06:50 PM
At what temperature do we need to pull it out of the ground?
+++++++++++
They don't like freezing temps, so if you are talking about storing the stool until spring, do it before the first sub zero temps or frosts. Then cut off the sucker in pre-emergent spring when the temps get real again. I'm not in a cold area, so not sure about the exact timing. Bananas are tropical plants.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: banana trees| Next thread: banana trees, dividing »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: