The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cottage mallow bush?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Cosmos Question| Next thread: cottage roll ham »
Back to Thread index
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on September 09, 2006 12:10 AM
Hello All!!! [wavey]

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me when , and how severely to prune a cottage mallow (lavatera) bush? It is a beautiful little bush with pink flowers in the hollyhock family. It is getting "leggy" and I would like it to be fuller and healthier, as the weight of the branches is weighing heavily on it and it is starting to droop! [Frown] Any help would be fantastic! [grin]

Thanks in Advance!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL
by TulsaRose on September 09, 2006 03:40 AM
From the Monrovia website re: BUSH MALLOW, Lavatera maritima:

Follow a regular watering schedule during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system. Feed with a general purpose fertilizer before new growth begins in spring. For a formal appearance, shear annually after flowering.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on September 09, 2006 06:15 AM
Hello Tulsa Rose, [wavey]

Thank you for the information! I was wondering...this is the first year I have had to prune...I have a container garden...was wondering...are there any rules as to how much you cut off of a plant or bush annually? [dunno] I am sure it will recover either way...but since plants are so sensetive, I don't want to cause undue stress before winter and we have very wet winters here in zone 8. [dunno]

Thanks Again...I will add that website to my favs.!!!

CHEERS!!! [grin]
HOLLYHOCKGIRL
by TulsaRose on September 09, 2006 05:43 PM
I wouldn't prune it more than a third of its growth at this point. They are in the same family as Rose of Sharon and I only prune my young ROS for shape the first couple of years. After that, I hard-prune in early spring and the result is a much more compact shrub and tons of blooms. [Wink]

Do you plan to keep it in a container outside over winter? I've been able to successfully overwinter cuttings in large containers in a protected, sunny bed and then plant them out the following spring.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on September 10, 2006 01:25 AM
Thanks Tulsa Rose!!! [wavey]

Thanks so much for telling me about your pruning style and schedule...this is the first time I have had to do this to my "garden babies" and it makes me nervous!!! [shocked] [scaredy] [shocked]

I don't know if it will last the winter in the container or not? I just got the Cottage Mallow this spring...so I planted it in a nice large container and have it well mulched. I really hope it lives...because it is one of my very favourites!!! I have a Butterfly bush and roses and trees in containers as well...so worried about them also...was thinking I would wrap the bottom of the pots in bubble wrap...( not underneath of course) and heavily mulching for winter again?

I have a crabapple tree and a fig tree that are new this year, but my rose,butterfly bush, lavendar, scotch bells, canterbury bells, echinacia, irises, and agapanthus all lived last year!!! So, am hoping we have a "protected" spot here!!! [dunno] [grin] [dunno]

Thanks Again!!! [wavey]
Cheers!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL
by TulsaRose on September 10, 2006 07:28 PM
What is your gardening zone? It would help to have that info in your signature. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on September 11, 2006 11:43 AM
Hello Tulsa Rose,

I am in Zone 7-8...we have a micro-climate here...so it varies.

Thanks Again!!!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cosmos Question| Next thread: cottage roll ham »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: