The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pruning or Clipping back a Purple Leaf Sandcherry

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: pruning old apple trees| Next thread: pruning orchids »
Back to Thread index
by PlantFaerie on August 28, 2006 02:51 PM
Hello everyone. I know I haven't been online in ages, hopefully now I'll be able to return to my old habits on here [Smile] Anyway I was hoping someone would be able to tell me when and how I am to prune or cut back my Purple Leaf Sandcherry tree. I just found out that it is a tree that needs to be pruned every year but I don't know when or how. Any Suggestions?
Plant Faerie

-

Colonel Jack O'Neill "I ask you, what could possibly be in my eye that could explain all this? "

-

by The Plant Doc on August 29, 2006 03:20 AM
It is best to wait until fall, that way you will not be having insects target in on the open wounds and vectoring in diseases.
You do not have to prune it heavily each year, but pruning does help encourage new growth, and will help thicken it up. When making any cuts, be sure to prune all the way back to the branch collar. This is the round swollen area that kinda resembles a toilet seat that the branch comes out of. Prune as close to even to the face of the collar as possible.

1st thing is to remove any sucker growth (the branches which appear to grow straight up from the trunk or branches.
2nd you can remove any lower branches which make mowing a hindrance, then the rest is pretty much up to you and how you want to shape the tree.
Just remember you can always go back and cut again, but once cut, glue does not work too well to fix any mistakes [Wink]

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pruning old apple trees| Next thread: pruning orchids »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: