The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How to Kill a Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Bill Swiderski on August 10, 2006 06:42 PM
I have heard that driving copper nails around the trunk of a tree will kill it. Is this true? I want to kill a tree without anybody knowing that I killed it. Any suggestions???
by Jimmy V on August 10, 2006 07:47 PM
Bill when you find out let me know. I have 4 here city wont let me cut down although they are trash trees and shed leaves all the time . Everyday have to rake leaves grass wont even grow there.

- Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.
 - GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops! Jimmy's Photos
 - Jimmy's Blog
by Bill Swiderski on August 10, 2006 08:00 PM
Tell me about it. There is a Silver Maple in the yard next door and the runners are pushing up my asphalt drive and running around the base of my house. They sprout up vertical every foot or so. I may have to climb it at night and put a makeshift lightning rod in the top of it. [dunno]
by Jimmy V on August 10, 2006 08:57 PM
by bill"I may have to climb it at night and put a makeshift lightning rod in the top of it."
Not a bad idea wish I had thought of that. Now where is that old cb whip antena [thumb]

- Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.
 - GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops! Jimmy's Photos
 - Jimmy's Blog
by kennyso on August 11, 2006 01:55 AM
I remember seeing something on thsi forum that mentioned killing weeds, could you use that method, but double the dose? I believe you boil water, vinagar and salt and you pour it on top of the weed (I take it you can try digging a trentch around the tree so you don't kill the grass around it) and pour the mixture in it? Let me know if this works!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by tamara on August 11, 2006 07:09 AM
Strip an inch wide layer right down to the wood all around. The tree can't haul up water without the bark so it eventually dies. [devil] Best of all if you do it raggedly you can blame it on local varmints.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Bill Swiderski on August 11, 2006 09:48 AM
That's an idea, I may try that. The key here is that they don't suspect foul play.
Bill Swiderski
by melcon6 on August 11, 2006 05:07 PM
I had, and the key word here is HAD , a silver maple(s). I loved the look of it, but the runners and shoots were too much !!!!! The lawnmower kept fetching up on those things!! It was such a mess, it had to come down. Does your neighbor have some kind of attachment to this tree?? Maybe said neighbor doesn't know how damaging that tree is , maybe he's just looking for an excuse to tear that baby down. Maybe you could talk to him about it??????? [dunno]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Bill Swiderski on August 11, 2006 05:44 PM
I did talk to him about it and he'd like it gone too. It's a matter of funds for him. However, necessity is the Mother of invention. I thought if I might help hasten the process without him knowing I helped things along.
by Bill on August 12, 2006 12:40 AM
Destroying someone else's property, tree or otherwise, is illegal regardless of your motives!

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: