The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hedge - Camelia or Sasanqua

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by George M on July 25, 2006 02:47 PM
Help! We want a 90 foot long, natural looking hedge that will eventually reach 10 - 15 feet. We are planning to use sasanqua, but are wondering if we should "mix and match" or use all the same kind of sasanqua. The wife says that all the same will look better, but I really like the idea of different types and timing of the blooms. In addition, we want fairly mature plants (approx. 5 foot tall) and are having a hard time finding the 25 or so plants that we would need all in one cultivar. Your aesthetic advice would be appreciated!
by Triss on July 25, 2006 02:50 PM
Hi there George.

What are you using the hedge for? And what is its backdrop? In front of it?

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by George M on July 26, 2006 01:34 AM
Hi Triss,

The hedge is to block out the house next door (so I want it to be thick and start from the ground). The neighbor has a few maples and sweet gums that will show over the top. On each end of the hedge, I've got Burford Holly, and in front of the hedge will be the lawn (I'm considering a mondo grass bed for the hedge). Currently, I'm planning to plant the sasanqua in a zigzag pattern). Any suggestions would be appreciated (I'm really struggling with whether to get all the same cultivar - which means much smaller plants and years before the hedge blocks out the neighbor's house; or getting larger plants that will block the view now, but will probably grow in slight different shapes, colors and textures).

Thanks,
George
by Triss on July 26, 2006 05:36 AM
I like the idea of different shapes, colors and textures. Especially if some of the plants you get will bloom. Planted in groupings so that you have blocks of the same thing would look really nice.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: