The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Young Oak Tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Young Aloe Vera Plant...| Next thread: Your Bush Bean Favorite? »
Back to Thread index
by twwright on July 18, 2006 02:01 AM
My first time writing you guys in Shrubs and Trees, be gentle with me...
We moved from a house we had been in for over 20 years to a newer, bigger more "I've arrived" type of house. Okay, it isn't my house it's my mothers' house, but I helped her plant everything. I took a large acorn from her favorite Oak tree and planted it in a pot. This is the only thing she has sentimentally to remind her of the old house and the years there. The darn thing grew, to my surprise, and began to thrive. I eventually planted it in her back yard for shade. Right now the tree is about 4 feet tall with branches coming out all over the place. My question has to do with the branches. When do I prune off the lower branches? Right now it looks more like a shrub than a tree. I assume I have to prune off the lower branches but don't want to do it too soon nor too high up the trunk. Can someone guide me here? I don't want it to die and cause my mother to lose her sentimental memories.
Thanks!

Terry in Texas
by woodchuck on July 18, 2006 06:53 AM
To give trees a good look and keep them in check, prune everything up to the main crotch or Y, then it will grow up straight and strong, this will be a seasonal pruning chore, along with pruning any very vertical shoots(suckers).

I've never had a problem pruning trees at any time of the year, as we have a wooded property high winds prune the trees year round without any adverse effects to the trees, so maybe a call to a local tree nursery to get the lowdown on any special requirments for that variety of oak in your area.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Young Aloe Vera Plant...| Next thread: Your Bush Bean Favorite? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: