The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

hydrangea Microphylla

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hydrangea leaves turning brown| Next thread: Hydrangea Paniculata »
Back to Thread index
by Midas on July 13, 2006 12:33 PM
I planted a hydrangea microphylla with pink flowers - in new top soil - after two days I noticed that some of the leaves are turning brown? What is the cause and will it affect the plant?
by weezie13 on July 14, 2006 05:27 AM
Hi Midas,
Just to let you know, I am moving your post into the PLANTS AND FLOWERS SECTION....
I think you'll get a few more response's into
that section better for your plant...

In the meantime, can you tell us what kind of new topsoil it was???
Was it regular garden soil or a bagged soil..
**if bagged, what kind**

When it was at the place you got the plant,
was it full sun, shade, etc.???

And when you brought it home, did it remain
in the same type of lighting???

And watering, how did you do it, by hose, drip,
not at all... did it dry out, remain soggy???

And did you use any fertilizers on it????
If so, what kinds and how and when did you apply it???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by loz on July 14, 2006 11:58 AM
Moving this to the shrubs and trees section! [thumb] This is one topic that likes to jump around! [Big Grin]
by TulsaRose on July 14, 2006 12:15 PM
Wow, it's been hard to track down this post and try to respond. lol!

Midas, you didn't put your zone or home town in your details so the best thing for you to do at this point is some serious reading about your Hydrangea Macrophylla. I highly recommend this from our very own Garden Helper website...
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/Hydrangea.htm

They need moist soil and afternoon shade...two most important factors for mine.

Hope this helps some...

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Mrs.Bradley on July 15, 2006 03:36 AM
HEY,EVERYONE! oddly enough, I too have a hydrangea that is turning brown. just little spots on all of the flowers. we do get a lot of drizzle here in EXTREME southwest Oregon and sea air. my bush is a dwarf with bright pink flowers.I planted straight into dirt...nothing is too fancy for my plants=)nothing I planted that day went into shock and everything else is ok.
I think maybe Midas and I have the same problem???
maybe???? Evryone else who grows hydrangeas in this area does really well with them. mine gets morning sun til about 12:30,but the fog sometimes doesn't burn off til noonish.any help is appreciated.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on July 21, 2006 04:32 PM
It could be stress on the plant, or watering them during the day. We have an sprinkler system and it was coming on at 2:00 in the afternoon and burning my plants, I had to move them. Hydrangea's love water, espically new ones. It is best to baby them for the first year ( I generally water them twice a day early in the morning and in the evening with my new ones) Be carefull of nitrogen rich fertilizers as well, hydrangeas really don't like those kind. Hope this helps

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hydrangea leaves turning brown| Next thread: Hydrangea Paniculata »
Back to Thread index