The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Weird leaves on Japanese Maple

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: weigelia pruning| Next thread: Weird weather and bulbs »
Back to Thread index
by HocusPocus on July 14, 2006 12:10 AM
Early this spring I dug up a sappling from my mother's Japanese maple tree and transplanted it in a large container on my deck. It appears to be pretty happy but the new growth is coming in weird. At first I thought it was baby leaves uncurling into mature leaves ... except that they have never uncurled. They look deformed and they are lighter than the original leaves. What's going on with my tree??

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=22439894803.197308028303.1152743766849&page=1&sort_order=0&navfolderid=0&folderid=0&ownerid=0
by luis_pr on July 14, 2006 12:58 AM
Try again? I could not see the pictures. Only a webpage titled Member Sign In.
by luis_pr on July 14, 2006 01:22 AM
Two possiblities to consider: moisture issues (not enough water, an undeveloped root system, windy conditions) or verticillium wilt fungus (part of the plant is affected and the rest looks fine).

Since this is the first summer for the tree, I would assume that it is a watering issue. The soil should be well drained and evenly moist (not wet, not dry, just moist).

You may have to check the soil around it regularly until it becomes established. Water the ground around the root ball since it may lack a good root system. Normally, it is best to water deep and not often. But this is the plant's first year and it is summer so give it a little break from that rule.

Luis
by HocusPocus on July 14, 2006 02:21 AM
Not sure how to attach an image ...

-
by HocusPocus on July 14, 2006 02:22 AM
cool ... here is another one ...

-
by obywan59 on July 14, 2006 03:16 AM
I agree. There was probably some root loss in the transplanting so the tree is not getting quite enough water. As for the new growth being a different color, that is common in japanese maples.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by HocusPocus on July 14, 2006 03:41 AM
Thanks everyone. More water it is ...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: weigelia pruning| Next thread: Weird weather and bulbs »
Back to Thread index