The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Palm Tree leaves going brown

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Bobb on July 13, 2006 09:07 PM
Hi from London.
I bought small outdoor palm, aroung 3feet tall.
Its been in for 2 weeks,I have atered it most days.
But the leaves are starting to turn brown. I hope I have not damaged it. Any life saving tips please welcome

Bob
by Longy on July 13, 2006 10:23 PM
It may be in some shock from transplanting, or, if it wasn't planted out but just brought home from a garden centre, it has spent its life so far in a greenhouse and is suffering from sudden changes in its environment, but palms are pretty tough. As long as the core is OK, not brown, then it's still alive. Palms dump leaves all the time if they get in any sort of bother, the older leaves brown off first.
I'd be more concerned about getting it thru its first winter. Is it in a pot? It may survibe winter inside the house if so.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Bobb on July 13, 2006 10:45 PM
Thanks Longy. I bought it in a pot from a outdoor garden show and its now planted.

We are in summer now and its quite warm so fingers crossed it wil get over the shock. Maybe its the shock of seeing our neighbours!
by Longy on July 14, 2006 11:17 AM
I bought it in a pot from a outdoor garden show and its now planted.
+++++++++++++++++++++
Give it a drink of seaweed or kelp extract Bobb. It's available from most plant places. It will help alleviate the transplant shock. What will you do with it in winter?

-
The secret is the soil.
by Bobb on July 20, 2006 09:10 PM
Thanks Longy.

Mmmm the winter could be a problem, I have seen a few people putting towels at the base of the stew and around the bottom when we have frosts.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: