The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

English Ivy problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: English Ivy and African Violet| Next thread: English Muffin Bread »
Back to Thread index
by emann on July 06, 2004 06:13 PM
For the past 2 years or so, I've been trying to cover a massive area with english ivy. I've planted a few thousand shoots all over the place, but they keep getting overtaken by weeds. The area is too big for me to weed myself, and I don't want to spend more money hiring people to do it. What I'm looking for is some sort of weed killing chemical that'll kill everything BUT english ivy. If I can just get rid of most of the weeds, I'd be able to give the ivy a fighting chance and maybe plant more shoots.
by Arctostaphylos on July 07, 2004 06:29 PM
You may want to consider using 1gal plants rather than cuttings from flats, the larger plants will do better against the weeds. With this method it will take longer to get complete coverage but it will work. Good luck.
by emann on July 09, 2004 01:17 AM
Hmmm, interesting. Sounds a bit expensive though. The guy we hired to do it used shoots he obtained from other people who had successful ivy ground covers, as well as from flats at the local garden center. We haven't really thought of that idea though, so I might try it. The thing is, we still have enough ivies left alive to take over the area, but they keep getting overtaken by weeds. If I could get rid of the weeds it wouldn't be so bad, and then perhaps I could plant more ivy. It's a huge terrace thing that goes by my woods; it's about 100 feet long and 10 feet deep, and it's all near vertical rocky terrain. At first I thought it might be my soil that's bad, but there are people less than a quarter of a mile away that have great ivy.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: English Ivy and African Violet| Next thread: English Muffin Bread »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: