The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need shrub/bush ideas for new flower bed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Need Rhubarb Recipes!!!| Next thread: Need Some Help! »
Back to Thread index
by KKMedic on June 27, 2006 09:34 AM
We are building a flower bed to help with the eyesore at the front of our property. It is a large triangle with guide wires and utility posts at the front of the property where it is viewed by everyone entering the subdivision. We are planning to do red, white, and blue theme flowers in the front with a flag/flagpole. At the middle of the triangle on each side is a utility pole. From pole to pole, I want to plant some sort of shrub or bush that will separate the flower bed into two sections, with the back portion of it being lilies, daylilies, and bulbs. I want something that will help create a nice look year round... from pole to pole is ~15-20ft. We are in zone 8a. Any suggestions? I really like fuschia bushes... but any other ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Katherine who is up to her knees in Mississippi clay.

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. -Mother Teresa

Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's sould remains unawakened."   ~Anatole France
by eClaire on June 28, 2006 07:47 AM
how about crepe myrtles??

Claire
by weezie13 on June 29, 2006 03:22 AM
I like Deutzia gracilis, very pretty bush,
has white delicate blooms for about 2 or 3 weeks..

The Mock Orange is a pretty white bush..

I love, love, love the Purple Smoke bush....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by luis_pr on June 30, 2006 02:55 AM
'Nellie R. Stevens' hollies grow to 8 to 12 feet tall and 6 to 8 feet wide. Good in zones 6-9 in Full Sun to Part Shade. 'Mary Nell' holly is hardy in Zones 7-9 and grows to the same size, but it takes longer to get there. Willowleaf (also known as needlepoint) holly grows to 6 to 8 feet tall and 5 or 6 feet wide in Zones 6-8. It has an upright rounded shape. Glossy abelia and elaeagnus both grow 5 to 6 feet tall and 6 to 7 feet wide if you need shorter, more spreading plants. But check first if they are good in your zone. Luis
by AngelsGardener on July 04, 2006 05:16 PM
My favorite is the Butterfly Bush and it comes in a variety of colors. Burning Bush are awesome, or what about Grasses they come in a variety of colors and have winter interest too.

But try this site too:

http://nsn2.northstarnet.org/cgi-bin/IllinoisBest/squery.pl
by merrillzone5 on August 25, 2006 03:56 PM
to Weezie13; I just went thru your photo's and I am so impressed with the quality of all the album. I think you are what this site is all about! Thanks for sharing [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Need Rhubarb Recipes!!!| Next thread: Need Some Help! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: