The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Crepe myrtle fungus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Crepe Myrtle bushes| Next thread: Crepe Myrtle in PA »
Back to Thread index
by nowwhat on June 23, 2006 07:53 AM
I am visiting in Tappahannock Va. My mother's Crepe Myrtle which was recently pruned has developed a white powdery fungus on the new shoots. The plant has good air circulation and is in a semi shaded area.

What fungicide is rec. by you nice people? I know nothing about these plants.

Thanks in advance
by gardenmom32210 on June 27, 2006 12:00 AM
Hi nowwhat [wavey] Welcome to the forum!

Although several fungicides help reduce crepe myrtle powdery mildew, I feel the most effective product is Spectracide Immunex. Used at the rate of 1 1/2 fl. oz. per gallon of water, this fungicide provides excellent control when applied to infected crepe myrtles.

Hope this helps [thumb]

G-Mom [grin]
by luis_pr on June 29, 2006 05:08 AM
Hello, nowwhat. That reminds me that I should ck one of my CMs. It usually suffers from PM & aphids at this time of the year.

Generally speaking, Crape Myrtles varieties that are named with Indian Names are resistant to PM. Sulfur dusts or wettable sulfur sprays are effective preventative controls. Mildew fungicides such as Daconil 2787 and Ortho Funginex, including a solution of water/milk, can be used on plants with the disease. It has been suggested that every 3rd or 4th application should use a different class of fungicides in order to prevent development of a fungal strain that resists a specific type of fungicide. Re-apply every 2 weeks. Read the directions on the labels and wear any necessary protective gear. Early morning is the best time to apply fungicides.

Avoid high nitrogen fertilizers as new growth will succumb to PM easily. Avoid overhead watering (water the soil instead) as well. Prune bushy plants to improve air flow inside the plant.

Luis

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Crepe Myrtle bushes| Next thread: Crepe Myrtle in PA »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: