The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Japanese Maple

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Japanese littleleaf boxwoods| Next thread: Japanese Maple »
Back to Thread index
by LF from MC on July 06, 2004 05:01 AM
I have a little area between the house and the sidewalk, about 3' wide and 6' long. Would I be able to plant a Japanese Maple tree there. I wanted something that small, and doesn't grow fast, and easy to keep up.

I just love the red leaves on the Japanese Maple, and always wanted one. and the red color would give some color next to the house. I was told that the roots grew down and not out. Is this true??

Thanks for your help

Lorraine
by obywan59 on July 06, 2004 06:19 PM
Many maples have numerous surface roots and I think a lot of Japanese maples included. I once helped dig up an 8 foot Japanese maple and most of the big thick roots were near the surface. Maybe if you tried one of the more dwarf varieties. Check out this site for ideas on different Japanese maples. They have mostly upright forms but there are a few dwarf mounding types.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by manx on July 06, 2004 06:38 PM
make sure its not planted in windy area ,the leaves are delicate and sensitive towind.they dont seem to like being re -planted so placement is very important.they also need acid solution for soil if it isnt already of that type.

m.g.bloom
by LF from MC on July 07, 2004 06:55 AM
Thanks for the link obywan59, BOY!! now I'm not sure what to pick, there are some beautiful trees in there. [flower]
by LF from MC on July 07, 2004 07:00 AM
Thanks manx, the tree would be on the west side of the house, and it does get windy there, but the tree would be next to the house, and there are two other tres in the front also, and would cut down on the wind some. I hope.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Japanese littleleaf boxwoods| Next thread: Japanese Maple »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: