The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

White fur patches on Indian basil leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: white fur on my jade plant| Next thread: White fuzz! »
Back to Thread index
by b. on June 10, 2006 08:36 AM
Hello all,

Recently, one of my Indian basils (Krishna variation) starts having these white furry patches on its leaves [pictured below].

-

I'm not sure what it is. I looked through the posts in the old archive and it doesn't look like it's mealybugs or powdery mildew to me, but maybe it is.. so I decided to just post the picture and ask for your experienced-eyes opinion.

I never planted anything before and this is my first attempt to grow something. I plant this basil in a small pot and place it on the window sill in the kitchen where it can get some sunlight. There are other plants nearby, but so far this is the only one that has the white fur on it. Should I move it away from the others? I tried cutting off the furry leaves, but the fur came back on the other ones instead.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. TIA.

b.
by The Plant Doc on June 10, 2006 10:02 AM
It looks like powdery mildew to me. Try to increase the air flow around the plant if possible and try not to get the leaves wet during warm humid weather. It is rarely fatal to a plant.
Other then that, I would not worry about unless you were going to use the basil for cooking, then I would remove the infected leaves and discard them.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by b. on June 11, 2006 02:17 PM
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your advice. I don't think it's possible to increase the air flow, but I will be more careful when watering it. After reading your post, I have remove all the infected leaves (basically there's not much left now!) and hopefully it won't come back again. I don't really get to use it for cooking but there maybe times when I need to.

Thanks again [Smile]
b.
by The Plant Doc on June 11, 2006 02:28 PM
B, I was meaning to remove the infected leaves before harvesting it. I think that unless the infection is very bad, the leaves will still be useful for the plant.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: white fur on my jade plant| Next thread: White fuzz! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: