The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fire or Canker blight

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by bella777 on June 08, 2006 06:29 AM
I have three mature plum trees that I just dicovered have cankers and blight.. I have removed all the branches that had the cankers
and now left with some good size ones on the trunks.. One of them have some of the gook oozing out of it.. Can I just cut the bark around the ooze? Any help on how to treat the trees and try to keep them alive would be great...
by peppereater on June 12, 2006 08:47 AM
bella, if you're still around, you might post this again in plant pests and problems, below. A lot depends on what kind of blight or canker you're talking about. I know there are cankers on the stems of plums that only require pruning. There is a canker that affects the trunks of peaches, plums and other related fruit that is different, and the recommendation is to destroy the tree. I had this on a peach once, and I cut the bark away from the infected areaand cut away the gall, and painted the wound with pine tar, a product that's actually for wounds on horses and such, but has medicinal properties. This was not a wild whim, I work with trees professionally, and was curious as to the antibacterial and other properties of this product. So far so good.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by DeepCreekLake on June 13, 2006 02:16 PM
Plums, peaches, and nectarines do not get blight- but other diseases. If a plum is like a peach or nectarine- some oozing sap is fairly normal. Sometimes seems more prominent during wetter weather.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: