The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sauerkraut

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Saucy Beef Pasta| Next thread: save money on your energy bill »
Back to Thread index
by Amigatec on January 16, 2006 08:44 AM
I had a request to post my recipe for Sauerkraut so here it is. This is my first time making this and I compiled a couple of different recipes together to create this one.

Shred 2 heads Cabbage (5 lbs), I used red instead of green, place in large mixing bowl, mix with 8 tablespoons kosher salt. I did 1 head at a time and used 4 tbl salt per head.

Place salted cabbage in bottom of large stone crock, I used a crock from an old Crock Pot that quit working. Bought it at a garage sale for 50 cents.

Use a potato masher to push the salted cabbage firmly into the bottom of the crock.

If using fresh cabbage it should start making its own brine, if brine doesn't start forming, bring 1 quart of water to boil and add 4 tbl of kosher salt to the pot, mix and allow to cool to room temperature before adding to the top of the cabbage mixture.

Place a plate and a weight on top of mixture to keep it below the top of the brine, you need at least 1 inch of brine on top of the cabbage. I used a dessert plate and canning jar filled with water.

Cover with plastic wrap and a towel place in a cool place for 4 to 6 weeks. Try to maintain a temperature of 50 to 75 degrees.

I check mine every couple of days and remove the scum that forms.

When it is ready I will post the results.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by ChristinaC on January 16, 2006 09:56 AM
I just can't wait to make it...oh how I love sauerkraut!! Where do you store yours? And does it smell? My mom told me she had thought that it wasn't something you can make indoors because of the smell.

Thanks so much for posting this recipe!

Christina

-
 -
by Amigatec on January 16, 2006 10:44 AM
Right now I have it on a table in the living room. It does have a little smell. I plan on canning it when it done.

I just hope it turns out ok.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Fernie on January 20, 2006 02:57 PM
I make sauerkraut every year. We use 10 gallon crocks and big wooden bats with flat ends to mash with. I have made kraut for so many years now, I don't measure the salt, just go by taste. You shouldn't keep kraut above 65 degrees F. If it keeps too warm, it spoils and tastes fizzy and the cabbage gets soft and falls apart. But you don't want it to freeze until it is done either. About 55 to 65 degrees is the perfect temp, keep it in your garage or basement or some other cool but not cold place. Ours takes about 6 weeks to finish. And then we can it. Let me know how yours turns out.

-
 -

- GO DAWGS!  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Saucy Beef Pasta| Next thread: save money on your energy bill »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: