The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

japanese red maple and weeping maple

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Japanese Quince standard| Next thread: Japanese Weeping Cherry »
Back to Thread index
by kennyso on May 25, 2006 03:37 PM
I have a about 10 yo low lying red japanese maple that has laceleaves. Is it possible to collect seeds from that plant? The tree has been in the ground ever ince my grandfather bought the house. He hasn't come to Canada for over eight years and noone knows the sxact name of the tree, all i know is that it has drooping leaves, nice red, and delicate leaves. I have never seen this tree bear seed before. Second question, my grandfather also planted an upright red Japanese maple, I can se small seed helicopters forming, when can I collect these, at the end of fall? Thanks for all your help,
Kenny

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by johnCT on May 26, 2006 02:30 AM
Are you looking to just get more plants? You can take a cutting of the tree and root it. Vegetative propogation(cuttings) will assure you of repoducing the exact specimen. Asexual propogation(from seed) could create offspring that doesn't necessarily match it's parent's characteristics.

John - Zone 6
by RugbyHukr on May 26, 2006 02:43 AM
jap maple page

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Japanese Quince standard| Next thread: Japanese Weeping Cherry »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: