The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hibiscus Shrub

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hibiscus question| Next thread: Hibiscus Splitting?? »
Back to Thread index
by liljenn on May 25, 2006 11:34 AM
I was wondering if you were able to take a trim off that Hibiscus Shrub and stick it in the ground. I have heard and seen that you can do that with some others and they take root and grow. Will this happen with the Hibiscus or will it just die?

Jenn
by peppereater on May 25, 2006 11:52 AM
My guess would be that you'd be better off rooting it in water, or using root hormone and rooting it in a mix of potting soil and perlite or sand.
I know that people routinely just stick willow or forsythia in the ground and they root, but this is probably the exception, not the rule.
Try it anyway if you want to!

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Triss on May 25, 2006 12:12 PM
Jenn, I can let you know if it roots soon as I just had to chop off the top of my Hibiscus Manihot and have it rooting in water. It is still looking ok after 3 days and I really do hope it roots well for me.

Let us know what you do and how it works out.

And welcome to the Forum!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by liljenn on May 27, 2006 06:51 AM
Well Peppereater and Triss I have done 3 things with that Hibiscus. The first trimming I just stuck in the ground and added some fertilizer and watered. The second I put in with some potting soil and mulch, fertilized and watered. The third I am trying to root from water. So hopefully out of those options I will have luck. If not I give up.

Jenn
by liljenn on June 14, 2006 03:51 PM
Just wanted everyone to know that the Hibiscus trimming that I put in potting soil is the only one that lived and is thriving. Quite impressed actually one how well it's doing.

Jenn
by Triss on June 22, 2006 06:58 AM
My hibiscus cutting that I put in water now has roots! I am so excited. It was in the water for about 3 weeks and it doing great! I will be putting it in soil this week and keeping everyone updated. It is a Manihot.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by luis_pr on July 03, 2006 06:41 AM
When it comes down to cuttings, skip chemical fertilizers. Try Liquid Seaweed (it is foliar food too) or try Liquid Fish until the plant has grown some more. Good luck and post pictures if you can! Luis

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hibiscus question| Next thread: Hibiscus Splitting?? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: