The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

mock orange

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: mmmm flowers| Next thread: Mockingbird Retreat »
Back to Thread index
by zeebil on May 23, 2006 11:21 AM
hi we planted a mock orange 5 years ago up till now we get plenty of greenery but no flowers.any suggestions before i do the unthinkable!!!
by RugbyHukr on May 24, 2006 01:58 AM
fertilize with phosphorus

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by tkhooper on May 24, 2006 02:06 AM
Please don't do the unthinkable. I love mock orange. And if you ever do get it to bloom maybe you could send some seeds my way? I love love love that plant.

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 24, 2006 02:40 AM
Have you pruned it??
It thrives on a good pruning in summer..
It usually blooms *here, growing zone 5*
around early/mid summer.. so after that time,
it needs pruning.. and blooms on that new growth
the following year...
Cut off the oldest stems/branches..

Is it in full sun???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by nmlAlba-dC15 on May 24, 2006 03:39 AM
Hi Tammy...
mine keeps giving me flush after flush of flowers... n da fragrance iz simply INTOXICATING..very strong fragrance... but i've never seen any seeds ..never really bothered to check actually...the next time round i'll check n send u some seeds if they r available...

may b yours doesn't get enough sunshine zeebil..??

[wavey] norhaini

-
i believe that somewhere in da darkest night...a candle glows,
i believe for every drop of rain that falls...a flower grows....
by zeebil on May 24, 2006 03:49 AM
thank you all, i have fertilized with a high middle number, but i only pruned it after the first year and i was told that i had pruned off the following years flowers???. i will wait and see what happens this year as it is very sparse with leaves but our weather has not been too good.
by nmlAlba-dC15 on May 24, 2006 03:54 AM
Zeebil.. i've never pruned mine... da flowers keep coming..but i suppose itz da difference in our climate, huh? Well, don't give up hope..it will surely reward u with itz beautiful flowers n heavenly fragrance..
[wavey] norhaini

-
by nmlAlba-dC15 on May 24, 2006 04:06 AM
Woops zeebil...so sorry i googled Mock Orange just now to make sure that we were talking abt da same plant...'coz i had come across da name referring to da plant Murraya paniculata...mine...which is Rutaceae? dunno if i got da spelling correct... but just now i read that Mock Orange is a Saxifrage... thatz not da plant i have... which is yours..?

-
by pagarden on May 24, 2006 03:45 PM
i have a mock orange and have never seen seeds after it flowers. i do know it sends new growth our from the base like weeds! i've pulled a couple and given them to neighbors. anyhow- i'm not sure about pruning- i'll try the summer pruning this year. first year we were here the thing had tons of flowers. second was pretty good too. last year had not a single one! i was so disappointed. this year i can see buds- maybe 1/2 of what i saw the first year. think pruning is the answer?
by weezie13 on May 24, 2006 04:22 PM
Yes, it thrives on pruning.
and when you don't prune it doesn't produce flowers..
*I learned that the hard way, my mother inherited several on her landscaped fence when she bought the house, and we neglected it, and so I did some research on it and then did a quick pruning on it, and it looked better.. last year I cut it a bit more.. and will really get after them this year after flowering and hope to whip it back into shape!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: mmmm flowers| Next thread: Mockingbird Retreat »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: