The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

shrub identification

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Andi on May 18, 2006 11:13 AM
Well I'm back but this time I've seen the actual shrub my sister in law is looking for. Sometime ago I posted needing identification of a white flowering shrub that her Mother use to call a wedding bush. Some of you thought that perhaps she was remembering a Bridal Wreath Spirea. Though that is a much more attractive and more fragrant shrub/bush, the bush she is talking about has thicker branches with 2 inch thorns. Not sure how she could have left that detail out but none the less she did. In addition to the thorns, the shrub has small bouquets of tiny white flowers. Does anyone know the name of this shrub? [dunno]
by joclyn on May 18, 2006 12:36 PM
andi, could you take a pic (or have your sis do so) and post it?

pics really help when trying to identify things [Smile]
by Sir Ts Princess on May 19, 2006 12:04 AM
Your sister is looking for "Bridal Wreath". That is the name of the bush, we have one growing in our yard. [Smile]
Here is some pictures of the plant I'm talking about.
 -
 -

The technical name for these plants are:
'Bridal Wreath Spiraea'
Ali

P.S. Edit...I'm sorry, wrong bush. This is what happens when it's 5:45 in the morning and your kids are awake and fighting already. Sorry.

-
by RugbyHukr on May 19, 2006 02:18 AM
is it Philadelphus lewisii ?

a 'wild mock orange' that is thorny

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Andi on May 20, 2006 08:42 AM
I wish I could take a picture but it is in Maryland and I'm in PA. The wild mock orange ... do the branches on it remind you of a rose bush but grow similar to forsythia, long and flowing? The flower looks much like that of a Bridal Wreath but the branches quarter of an inch thick. Are there several types of Bridal Wreath. As I said it had 2 inch thorns on it and they were thick.
by tkhooper on May 20, 2006 09:30 AM
I'm probably wrong but could it be a wild single bloom rose bush? Or are the flowers spaced wrong on that one?

I didn't know there was a wild mock orange bush. It sure looks pretty. That is some pH range on those 5 to 8?

-
 -
by joyce_grower on June 04, 2006 10:53 AM
I bought a house about 2 years ago and this just bloomed in my yard also. I didn't know if it was a rose bush or not since I had never seen the bloom on it. Any idea on how big it will get, or how long in bloom? it is right in the middle of my flower bed and its only about 21/2 foot tall so far, but it has a lot of blooms on it. Thank You
by Andi on June 06, 2006 05:52 AM
Whelp, found the bush for those of you who were wondering what happened. It's a spirea, but not as pretty as the bridal spirea. Was shopping at a Produce Market and got stuck with one of it's thorns ... it wouldn't let go of my pant leg so I was forced to purchase it. Anyway, my sister in law delighted when I gave it to her. Thanks for all the input and sending me in the right direction.

Andi [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: