The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

idea shrubs or trees?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: ID the picture ! Please| Next thread: Ideas anyone?? »
Back to Thread index
by ladystressout on May 12, 2006 08:51 AM
I need something to grow in between the peonies I got and do not know what to plant? Wanted a rose but try to put a trellis in the ground with it but the wind has been so bad out here for the pass years that it is impossibe to do that so thought of maybe a shrub or a small tree but do not know what I should get does anyone have any ideas? I do not want something that I would have to dig up if it grows to fast or to big either?Help please!
by Frisha on May 12, 2006 09:01 AM
What about a shurb rose or another rose that doesn't require a trellis? Honestly not sure but this is jsut a thought.
by joclyn on May 12, 2006 12:21 PM
there are plenty of roses that don't require a trellis.

either a shrub type or a floribunda. the bunda's can get spread out tho.
by patches1414 on May 12, 2006 05:21 PM
Hi ladystressout! [wavey]

I have "Nearly Wild Rose" in my raised bed with a Peony and I have attached a picture. I trim this lightly each year to keep it about this size. [Wink] It is in the left front corner of the bed on the picture. I love [Love] these and have several of them planted in my yard.

-

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by ladystressout on May 13, 2006 03:05 AM
Gosh! I do love roses and I was looking for a red one and like the idea of a shrub one it will not take over the bed will it or get to wide will it?Please keep the ideas coming I sure can use them just not sure what I want yet?Will do some searching on the shrub rose for sure!Rita
by RugbyHukr on May 13, 2006 03:14 AM
azaleas

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by joclyn on May 13, 2006 05:47 AM
personally, i like roses over azaleas.

either will work for what you want to do. both will need to be pruned to keep them the size that you want.

the rose will be easier to deal with - they don't need much pruning other than the yearly trim. azaleas constantly grow, so they need trimming every couple of weeks or they look messy.
by patches1414 on May 13, 2006 06:27 AM
Hi ladystressout! [wavey]

The "Nearly Wild Rose" in my picture is about 12 years old and I've been able to maintain it's size by a light trimming each year. [Wink] Although that picture was taken last year, the rose is already blooming this year and will continue to bloom all through the summer. [Smile] Azaleas, on the other hand, bloom only in the spring and most of them around here are finished blooming. [Frown] I live in Illinois and I'm in zone 5. I see you're from Ohio, but what zone are you in? [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by ladystressout on May 16, 2006 05:42 AM
hello everyone I lived in zone 6 so azaleas will not grow here unless there is a hardy kind for this area?Keep the suggestions coming in was thinking of a rose tree?Bye for now Rita
by joclyn on May 16, 2006 09:48 AM
most azalea are hardy in zone 6 - both 6a and 6b. they have a very short bloom time. if you're looking for bloom factor, that wouldn't be a good choice.

what about a butterfly bush? altho they can get big they're very easy to keep pruned to a managable size.
by ladystressout on May 17, 2006 04:16 AM
I think I may get a sharon of rose tree? does anyone know a place that sells them?Or does anyone have a start from a sharon of rose tree?Was going to plant seeds but would like one now to start growing and to give some height to the area?Thank you all and please keep the ideas coming still have not decided completely yet on what to plant?Rita
by joclyn on May 17, 2006 06:00 AM
rose of sharon. they're lovely!! you could do a peony tree too...they're pricey, tho.

check your local home depot and lowe's as well as small garden centers/nursery's for the rose of sharon.

i've also been told that ebay is an excellent source for plants.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: ID the picture ! Please| Next thread: Ideas anyone?? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: