The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Protecting a Magnolia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Proprgating Peace Lilie| Next thread: Protecting for winter »
Back to Thread index
by Southern Gardener on May 07, 2006 08:30 AM
We have a young Magnolia tree that we started from seed over 12 years ago. It's now a good 10 feet tall. For most of its years it's been very healthy and bloomed about after its third year.

Two years ago, our neighbor's very old Magnolia began to die. The leaves it produced were very small and dry looking and they then fell off. This magnolia is only a few feet from ours across the fence. Ever since our neighbor's tree died ours has been looking worse each season.

This spring we have leaves and buds, but the leaves are sparse and small- and they are not that pretty waxy green color (they usually are).

There seems to be no sign of bugs or disease on the leaves- they are just stunted.
Could whatever killed our neighbor's tree be creeping over the fence! [Frown]

Any suggestions would be most appreciated on how to save our tree!

Thanks.

Sandy [kitty]
by RugbyHukr on May 09, 2006 03:22 AM
it could be a harmful nematode or some other microscopic soil dweller.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Southern Gardener on May 11, 2006 05:08 AM
Hi,

Eeew, that sounds bad... It's got bugs or grubs or something gross in the soil?
What should I do?? [Frown]

I've also noticed that the holly tree we have that's near it is showing some of the same symptoms.

Thanks for the advice and any help you can offer!

All the best.

Sandy [kitty]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Proprgating Peace Lilie| Next thread: Protecting for winter »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: