The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

forsythia don't bloom

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: forsythia Bush Dead?| Next thread: forsythia fears »
Back to Thread index
by kihnnan on May 07, 2006 05:12 AM
Hey out there!
I planted forsythia at my country house in the mountains because I saw in other peoples gardens that it bloomed and did beautifully. They have been in 4 years now and haven't bloomed yet. They are healthy and growing, in pretty much full sun, they get yellow buds that look like they're going to bloom but then they never do (a couple actually do). And then the leaves come out. I have used horse manure, compost, organic fertilizers, 10-10-10 reg fertilizers, all to no avail. I'm about to give up and rip them out! (By the way, I have absolutely stunning forsythia here in NJ and I do absolutely nothing to them!) I'm zone 6 in Jersey and zone 3-4 in the mountains. HELP! What can I do?
by dodge on May 07, 2006 01:42 PM
kihnnan.,

If your zone 3 and 4 in the mountains, it is probably too warm for them.. They are cold loving plants........Some like it cold.. They do. I do nothing to mine in zone 5 and they was gorgous this time.

dodge [Eek!]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by RugbyHukr on May 09, 2006 03:20 AM
you may be over fertilizing in your quest to get flowers. Also, a higher middle # (phosphorus) is the nutrient for flowering.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by kihnnan on May 10, 2006 04:32 AM
Dodge, Its definately not too warm. I'm in zone 4 which is colder than zone5
RugbyHukr, I will try the phosphorus. The different fertilizers I've used have not been all at once. Different things different years.
by dodge on May 10, 2006 05:07 AM
kilman......

Sorry . Got my mixtall tocked up.
Actually ours bloom as tiny babies....?

[clappy] [clappy]
I tried.

I will hunt for solutions.......

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum