The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

crabapple tree in container?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Crabapple question.| Next thread: Crabgrass and Weed Trees »
Back to Thread index
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on May 01, 2006 09:20 PM
hello,

I am new here. I have a question I am hoping someone can answer for me. I just bought a flowering Crabapple tree to provide a bit of shade for the birds, and was wondering if anyone has planted this in a container before? We rent, so we need to keep this tree "mobile" for a few more years.

Thanks
by tamara on May 04, 2006 06:23 AM
You could probably do it with a very large container. What zone are you in?

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Deborah L. on May 04, 2006 11:35 AM
Holly,
I'd try it in a 24 inch pot. This is a size that you can move with another person's help, but the tree can live OK.
I'd definitely ask for feeding advice from posters more container tree savvy than I am !
I don't know if you have a dwarf or if there is one, but I'd guess that you can keep it as a bonsai.
That's what I'm doing with my wisteria and even my eucalyptus.
Although the eucalyptus is a miniature variety.
I thought........

-
 -
by papito on May 04, 2006 12:32 PM
Do you know which MALUS variety of flowering crabapple?

Very few are in the 10ft.-12ft. high with almost an equal spread of canopy. The type of crabapple will determine the size of container. I don't grow crabapple, but I do have dwarf apples in containers.

Deborah suggested 24" container, which will probably be sufficient, but I will also suggest a 1/2 or even a 3/4 wooden wine barrel fitted with casters for mobility.

These containers will use about 2 cuft. of potting soil.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Deborah L. on May 04, 2006 02:21 PM
Yes, something big enough is what I meant.
The reason I harp on 24 inch containers is because I like the look of the clay-look plastic.
Forgot all about barrels, Papito ! [thumb]

-
 -
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on May 05, 2006 01:55 PM
WOW...THANKS EVERYONE!!! [Smile]
I am in zone 7 and the crabapple is Malus "prairifire" and it said in one of my books that it gets to be about 20 feet in height! wow! I have not planted it yet...was wondering if nutrient and compost rich potting soil will be enough? I use one with Bat Guano and amendments...so it is very rich? Not sure if this will be enough? Maybe I should add a bit of Perlite for drainage? [dunno]
Anyway...thank you all so much for your help...great Ideas...I bought a super huge pot...the biggest the nursery had...the man there said it would be okay for about 3 years...after that...I am going to have to move to one of those Giant Palm pots or donate the tree if we haven't moved into a home yet? [Big Grin] lol Anyway...Thanks so much...will let you know what happens ! Thanks again!!! [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Crabapple question.| Next thread: Crabgrass and Weed Trees »
Back to Thread index