The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pests

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Pesky squirrles| Next thread: pests in canna »
Back to Thread index
by constant gardner on June 03, 2006 05:07 AM
Help! something nocturnal is eating my lobelia and the new growth and blooms on petunias. It also is eating only the bloom on pansies. It eats some of the plants one night and then comes back the next night and finishes it down to the dirt. It isn't slugs. I've tried pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and chili power and a commercial product to deter cats, dogs, racoons and squirrels--nothing helps. I've replanted 3 times and just provided someone dinner. I have a large dog who sleeps in the garden area at night, she doesn't bark so whatever it is, it's sneeky.

Jan Higgins
by Longy on June 03, 2006 07:44 AM
Go out at night with a flashlight and see if you can catch the culprit. Just sit somewhere quiet just after darkness falls and wait, with the flashlight off. When you see movement, stun the critter with the flashlight. Once you know what you're dealing with, you have a much better chance of controlling the problem.
You could also put a cover of dry sand in a circle around the area , to get some footprints. That may help ID the critter.

-
The secret is the soil.
by kyjoy on June 04, 2006 12:03 PM
Something is eating canna. The leaves are full of holes. What is it? How do I get rid of it?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pesky squirrles| Next thread: pests in canna »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: