The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

forsynthia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: forsthia pruning| Next thread: Forsythe pot success! »
Back to Thread index
by hick on April 27, 2006 03:20 AM
I have an old bush, growing great, too great, that I would like to gain some control over. I know not to cut it back until after it blooms, but would anytime after that be OK? I wonder about late spring so it can grow new growth for next years flowers, or the fall when it is resting. ALSO, I read that a third of the height is max, so , can I just chop the beast down by a third all over and let it sprout after that. I tried to thin it and that worked a bit, but the longer bits, just took over and made up for the missing few and I am still forced to bend while I mow under it.

still trying to get it right.
by johnCT on April 27, 2006 03:38 AM
Yup, do it right after the flowers fade and you can cut it back pretty heavily. They can take quite a bit of abuse.

John - Zone 6
by hjolicoeur on April 27, 2006 08:22 AM
I have tried to kill those things before, and you can't do it! At least not without hurting yourself!

We had a huge forsythia right in front of where we parked our cars, one year we chopped the whole thing down to the roots and the next year it came back even bigger!

Good luck!

~Heidi
by gardenluvr on April 28, 2006 02:25 PM
It has been my experience with them that the 1/3 rule works but it never really looks that great - kinda like a bad hair cut. Every few years when they become out of control I take them down by at least half. You can cut them down to 2feet and it will really come back nice but you might sacrifice next years blooms. Sometimes its worth it. I do the same thing with my lilacs too. Both plants actually perform much much better when they are severly leveled once in awhile. Good luck.
by Shani on April 28, 2006 04:54 PM
Thats info is good to know I was thinking of posting a similar questions, the fothesis around here are absolutly stunning this year

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by Shani on April 28, 2006 04:56 PM
I really need to check my spellin more often
*forsythia

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by Frisha on April 29, 2006 03:48 AM
Ok a somewhat related question [Smile] I was wondering if I cut one back this year can I move it too or should I not cut it back if I'm going to move it? It's in a really bad location for some building we are intending to do so it really needs to move. Was wondering if we do cut it back how far would you suggest if we can cut and move both?
by SpringFever on April 29, 2006 03:53 PM
They grow really good from cuttings.. I would move it now after it flowers .. Really I think it will be fine!! I wouldn't be surprised if it still grew back in the other location!

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: forsthia pruning| Next thread: Forsythe pot success! »
Back to Thread index