The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pin Oak

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Pin Cushion (Nertera granadensis)| Next thread: pina coladas »
Back to Thread index
by Frisha on April 22, 2006 03:28 AM
OK we plantted a bare root pin oak about 2 weeks ago. I know it is probably early yet but when should I start worring about it not swelling the buds? The trunks are still green and limber. This tree is only about 2-2.5 feet tall. We've been having alot of rain so it's staying pretty damp, and it is in full sun. Don't want to worry too soon but I have a feeling I am worring before I really have reason to [Smile]
by The Plant Doc on April 22, 2006 05:51 AM
As long as the branches remain green and limber I would not worry at all.
Make sure it stays well watered, and DO NOT fertilize it for at least 6 weeks. That can wind up burning the fresh new roots. You can work some bone meal around the base of the plant, this will help encourage good root growth. [Smile]

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by SpringFever on April 23, 2006 01:17 PM
Is that the case for any shrub or tree.. Bone meal for the roots?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by The Plant Doc on April 23, 2006 01:52 PM
Pretty much, Bone meal or "K" or Potassium
pretty much helps the plant establish root growth and helps to repair damage.

N or Nitrogen encourages top growth and chlorophyll production.

P or Phosphorus Helps in healing the plant and encourages flowering

On the fertilizer package aside from micro nutrients, it will always be listed in this order:

N. P. K.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by johnCT on May 03, 2006 02:55 AM
I'm sure it was just a oversight on Doc's part, but I think he has P and K mixed up. Bone meal is a source of phosphorus, or the "P" in NPK, or the middle number. It is not a good source of potassium. But it does help to promote root establishment in plants.

John - Zone 6
by Frisha on May 03, 2006 03:36 AM
BTW Just to let you all know I was defently over worring [Smile] It has been workign on budding out the last couple of days.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pin Cushion (Nertera granadensis)| Next thread: pina coladas »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: