The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Smoke Bush

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Smilacina racemosa| Next thread: Smoked Pork Chops from Weezie »
Back to Thread index
by Stars on April 21, 2006 02:40 AM
Hello, I'm wondering of Its too late to prune a smoke bush and If I can take it down how much can I safetly take off, it is a old bush and A very large bush, much too large for the front lawn.
The buds haven't yet started to open but they might soon.
by peppereater on April 21, 2006 06:08 AM
Really, you can do a little pruning to most things most times of the year. If you must prune it now, you must, but you may not get lots of pretty smoke plumes. YOu could prune it later, as long as you don't go out on the hottest day of the year and hack it way back. One rule of thumb that applies to many shrubs is never take more than one third.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by debg on August 05, 2006 11:08 AM
Hi there, I'm new to this site. I've had several smoke bushes for 4 or 5 years. They've been doing well, and I love them.
Just this morning I noticed that one of them appears to be committing suicide. I'm devastated. Some of the leaves/branches are dry and brown, and it appears to be affecting approx 40% of the tree. It's only happening on this one, and the one next to it looks fine. It looks like it's dying, even though just a few days ago it appeared fine.
We did have a heat wave here in NY, with temps constant at near 100 for 3 or 4 days. We continued to water throughout.
HELP! Any ideas?
Deb

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Smilacina racemosa| Next thread: Smoked Pork Chops from Weezie »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: