The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lilac question/problem.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Lilac help?| Next thread: Lilac questions »
Back to Thread index
by flwrgrdnmom on April 03, 2006 10:11 AM
I have a "red" lilac, though not sure what color it really is. I ordered it from discount place and it's only about 8" high. I planted it in a big planter last year and it grew an inch or 2 and had nice leaves at the top this year. Well, a few days ago the leaves all wilted. Not from lack of water. I dug around in the soil and found an ant bed. D*#& things! So, I immediately dug it up and repotted it in fresh soil/pot after rinsing off the roots to ensure I didn't bring any hitchhikers with it. The leaved are still wilted though and I'm worried it won't make it. Any suggestions?
by cinta on April 03, 2006 10:17 AM
I think you have done all you can. I usually put some Superthrive on my plants when they get ill.

I would not stress it anymore. Don't overwater it because if the leaves are hanging it cannot take to much water or it will rot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Deborah L. on April 03, 2006 10:30 AM
Does the lilac have aphids? I have always been told that ants go to plants that have aphids because ants eat aphids.

-
 -
by flwrgrdnmom on April 04, 2006 06:47 AM
It seems perfectly fine and healthy, other than the wilted leaves. I have repotted it and am going to hope for the best. It's such a small little plant, I'd love to have it finally grow big enough to flower.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Lilac help?| Next thread: Lilac questions »
Back to Thread index