The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hydrangea

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hydrangea| Next thread: Hydrangea »
Back to Thread index
by Sonia Lei on April 01, 2006 11:48 PM
I love Hydrangea, my Grandmother used to grow them... but I can't seem to find them anywhere... Every Nursery or Garden Center I go to tell me that they don't do well in my area... but I've heard the opposite from a few Gardeners. Does anyone have anything to share about them that might live in my zone, or that have experience growing them.

I'm wanting info on Mopheads (blue Nikko, Oakleaf, anabella etc.)
Thanks in advance

-
by joclyn on April 02, 2006 02:05 AM
i love them too! i bought one a couple of years ago and then i was lucky enough to be able to transplant one from a neighbors yard (they were moving and the bed was going to be removed by the new owner).

they generally don't do well in your zone (11). most are not recommended past zone 9. there might be a type that would do well enough if kept in a container (then you could bring it inside). and there's always new varieties that might be hardy to your zone.

lol! i did some googling to help you out and found tons of great info on hydrangea!! (which will help me out with the two that i have [grin] )

see if these sites are helpful to you:

what grows where

hydrangea.com

usda hydrangea info
by kyjoy on April 02, 2006 05:43 AM
I have Oakleaf Hydrangeas. They are good for shady gardens.
by Sonia Lei on April 02, 2006 06:39 AM
If Im in 9b wouldn't that still be somewhat suitable. I'm guessing it would need partial shade in my area, since it does get pretty hot.

Just to get some answers I called Home Depot to check if they had any in stock and they told me they did, but could not tell me which ones... and they told me they were house plants. I wanted to lol, but didn't.

-
by joclyn on April 02, 2006 08:32 AM
yes, the heat is an issue for hydrangea.

i checked and raymondville looks to be in zone 11. which doesn't mean you couldn't successfully grow hydrangea...you'd need to make sure it's in a pretty shaded spot and keep it very well watered. and i'd make sure to get one of the varieties that are recommended for zone 8 or 9.

anything that is more for zone 5 or 6 really wouldn't do well where you are (too hot there).

altho, the whole discussion is kind of moot if whoever you spoke with at home depot claimed they are houseplants. that statement basically says it all about whether these are suitable for your area.
by njoynit on April 02, 2006 01:11 PM
I grow oak leaf& it does well& I grow it in sun.It had great fall coloring last year cause was a dry year.The hortensia ones would not do for you.Mine struggle& their in shade.Nikko blue does well and is shade grown.it blooms on old wood(I divided it this year and moved some to AM sunshine)I have a plant of one from SIL yard.it seems to bloom better with sun& hers were about 4x4.It bloomed most the summer.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Sonia Lei on April 04, 2006 12:50 AM
Where in Tx are you NJoy? I'm in the Rio Grande Valley

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hydrangea| Next thread: Hydrangea »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: