The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sick Azalea

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: sick aloe| Next thread: sick butterfly plants »
Back to Thread index
by mikestuff on April 01, 2006 01:09 AM
I have an azalea that is a Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde.

One side is healthy and dark green, the other is sickly looking and this has been the case for the last couple of years. I thought the sick side would eventually die off or recover. Not the case. Below is a link to a pic.

By the way, I'm kind of a haphazard fertilizer, so the bush may not be getting optimal care.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

Azalea
by The Plant Doc on April 01, 2006 01:42 AM
It appears from the picture that the sick side of the plant is near an area where there is nothing growing, maybe a walk way? If so the ground is probably too compacted there for its roots.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by mikestuff on April 01, 2006 02:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Plant Doc:
It appears from the picture that the sick side of the plant is near an area where there is nothing growing, maybe a walk way? If so the ground is probably too compacted there for its roots.
Hi Mike,

The picture might be a little deceiving. There is a concrete patio to the south of the bed where the azalea is planted. The healthy side faces west and the sick side faces east in the bed, so both sides are about equidistant from the patio. The sick side faces the center of the bed.
by obywan59 on April 01, 2006 03:45 AM
Ooh, concrete isn't good for azaleas. Concrete is alkaline and leaches into the soil. Azaleas like acid soil. Try fertilizing with Holly-tone for the long term. Chelated iron in a foliar could help the chlorosis. You'll be able to see green spots appearing on the leaves within 1 or 2 weeks if it's an iron problem which would be my guess. It's caused improper acidity within the plants leaves. I'd guess that's the problem since they're planted next to the concrete.

However, if the foliar iron doesn't show results, chlorosis is also caused by a magnesium deficiency which can be helped by spraying with a mixture of 2 tablespoons of epsom salts in a gallon of water.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by The Plant Doc on April 01, 2006 09:32 AM
Looking at the picture, I don't think it would be a nutrient deficiency. If it were the whole plant should be equally as shabby, and the plants surrounding it, which is not the case. My bet is still that it is root or mechanical problem of some sort. I can not tell from the photo, is there any signs of missing bark at the base of the branches which are looking bad? If so it could be vole damage.
Azalea's are notorious for having weak branch connections at the base of the plant. A lot of the time the weight of snow can damage individual branches. If they did not break all the way, it would appear much as yours does.

Obywan is right when he says that they do not like a alkaline soil, but again I would think that if that were the problem the entire plant would be affected.

Just wondering if the plant may have been covered with ice for an extended period of time, that could have done a little bit of damage as well. It is always a good idea to spray azalea's with a anti desiccant spray prior to winter.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by mikestuff on April 01, 2006 10:57 AM
Thanks guys. I'll have a look at the bark tomorrow. We've had a really mild winter the past two without any snow to speak of and no ice.

There is another azalea at the other end of this bed and the conditions should be very similar and it's thriving.

I appreciate the input.

Mike

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sick aloe| Next thread: sick butterfly plants »
Back to Thread index