The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Schefflera Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: schefflera plant| Next thread: Schefflera--Again »
Back to Thread index
by Carly on May 25, 2005 10:45 PM
One of our tenants found this plant today - discarded where somebody's moving.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/flowers/Schef90.htm

I haven't taken any pictures of it yet - mine doesn't look as good as the one on this url.

It says . . . oh boy! It says it's an INDOOR plant.

Does anyone know if I can get away with keeping it outside by the front door of the building.

There's a lot of light there. If not, I'll stake it properly and put it in the lobby.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by phoenix on May 25, 2005 11:47 PM
[wayey] carly,
quote:
Does anyone know if I can get away with keeping it outside by the front door of the building
you need to keep in mind that these,and quite a few other "houseplants",are of the tropical variety. i don't know how cold it gets where you are but you may want to lean more twards keeping it in the lobby [Wink] again depending on the outside temp

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Carly on May 26, 2005 03:44 AM
OK - will do - I've moved it into the lobby, given it a drink.

I think I'll give it a spray with some light sudsy detergent (just in case - it had to be discarded for a reason)

-

Thanks to Image Shack

-

-
by pcgrav on May 26, 2005 05:25 AM
[wayey] Hi Carly;
I'm going to venture to say your "find" looks like the species "Brassaia" it does best in bright light but will adapt to low light but it becomes "leggy" which is what looks like has happened to yours. Water thoroughly then allow the soil to dry before watering again. You can fertilize year round. Be careful not to overwater or keep the soil to wet because it is subject to crown and stem rot. It needs warm temps.(but not hot) and high humidity... I hope this helps you help your plant.

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by Carly on May 27, 2005 04:42 AM
Thanks, Tricia . . . know anything about reddish brown spots - some of the leaves have them.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't spray a light detergent, as I do with others to get rid of any bugs.

-
by pcgrav on May 27, 2005 06:02 AM
I'm not sure. I took another look at the plant and I've seen that before.Its similar to what was on my rubber plant when it got to dry (lack of humidity). It may just be due to lack of proper lighting. It also looks like It could stand a pot just a little larger than the one its in. Maybe too,if you do repot it you can very gently start coaxing it upright by very carefully placing a stake in the soil at the EDGE of the pot opposite the "bend" and use lengths of pantyhose to tie it up. Not to tight. Then, as the plant starts to straighten, move the nylons up a bit and so on. It will always have somewhat of a "crook" in it but maybe it'll get better. GOOD LUCK!!!

-
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by Will Creed on May 27, 2005 06:41 AM
Hi Carly,

Your new acquisition is a Schefflera actinophylla. (Schefflera used to be called Brassaia).

If you move it outside, make sure temps are above 50 degees at all times and protect it fom any direct sunlight shining directly on it.

Don't repot it any time soon.

The reddish sopts are probably nothing to be concerned about. It looks healthy
by Cricket on May 27, 2005 06:48 AM
Hi Carly,

Are the reddish-brown spots on your Schefflera raised? Is there a sticky substance beneath your plant? If so, you most likely have scale. (The sticky stuff, called honeydew, is scale excrement.) Scales have a hard exterior shell that soap and water does not easily penetrate. Try spraying the plant with a solution of 1 part rubbing alcohol to 8 or 9 parts water with a squirt of dish soap added as emulsion.

Tricia is correct about Schefflera requiring bright indirect light but I would not repot the plant. Instead, my suggestion is to prune it back by about a third. New growth will appear just below the cut. Water it thoroughly, letting the soil dry between waterings.
If you stake it, be careful not to damage roots. Good luck.

Tricia, I've never heard of the pantyhose trick to straighten a plant. Have you tried it?
by pcgrav on May 27, 2005 07:15 AM
Once or twice I had to do it to my rubber tree because I live in houses that had rotten lighting conditions in relation to where I could sit my plants. Its a kinda long process though. I'm not sure if it can be done to one as far gone as that one is... Once upon a time I had to help my Dragon Tree along like that too...

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: schefflera plant| Next thread: Schefflera--Again »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: