The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Forsythia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Forsythia| Next thread: Forsythia and fire bush (burning bush) »
Back to Thread index
by shezalady on March 22, 2006 05:57 AM
I need some help with forsythia bushes. We just moved in, and the neighbor tells me the bushes need pruned, that they haven't been very pretty for the last few years. Suggestions on pruning, please?
by melcon6 on March 22, 2006 06:10 AM
First off, you have to prune them just after they flower. You can prune them down quite hard , just no more than 1/3 of the plant each year.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by shezalady on March 22, 2006 09:19 PM
Thanks, Vanessa. I'm just so excited to have my own forsythia bushes - I have 4! But I want them to be beautiful.
by johnCT on March 22, 2006 09:43 PM
Definetly wait until after they bloom. They are very tough plants and can take very aggressive pruning.

John - Zone 6
by pagarden on March 22, 2006 11:11 PM
this year is my first spring having them and i can't wait to see them in bloom! thanks for the pruning tips. i sort of stole them last summer! [Embarrassed] they were gorwing in a vacant lot so a friend and i pulled a few of them up and split them and when i came home i soaked them in water and planted them. they did good and all survived the move. i did end up cutting some of the ends off- some parts died, but not the whole plants. so now i have 5 plants but the tallest one is only maybe 3 feet tall. i still can't wait to see them in bloom though!
by cinta on March 23, 2006 01:11 AM
They root easy, I have cut a limb and pushed it in the ground and it they take off. In three years you will have a good size bush.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by buzylady on March 23, 2006 03:05 AM
Bring a few of your forsythia branches inside. Put them in water. They should bloom for you. I did 2 wks ago. They bloomed nice, but now they're done. Now I'm trying lilacs.
Diane

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Forsythia| Next thread: Forsythia and fire bush (burning bush) »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: