The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Flowering Shrubs/Perennials Suggestions Please

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Flowering Shrubs for July| Next thread: Flowering stopped »
Back to Thread index
by TheGardenerGuy on March 13, 2006 11:17 AM
Hi Everyone... [wavey]

I am trying to layout a landscape plan for my parents front yard. [gabby]
They want to pull out the existing yews and replace them with hardy Zone 5a flowering shrubs and perennials. Their house faces north so it would be all along the front of the house.
I think a japanese maple would look nice on one end. They want to keep the purple sandcherry on the other.
Please help! [gabby] I can't find the right landscape software to do it online.

Thanks for the help! [thumb]

Greg [angel]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by Jiffymouse on March 13, 2006 12:02 PM
i can't remember who, but someone posted a link to some free software that was pretty good. also, i think lowes and better homes & gardens has some free software.

both are for design, maybe thew will help?
by TheGardenerGuy on March 13, 2006 12:28 PM
Any IL gardeners or northern gardeners with plant suggestions would be soo helpful..
Thanks Jiffy mouse..i will check them out...i am always at Lowes in the spring and summer...lol

Greg

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by Jiffymouse on March 13, 2006 01:01 PM
i was talking about their websites, although i have seen grid paper at our lowes here.
by RugbyHukr on March 13, 2006 11:21 PM
rhododendron, azalea, mt laurel, cranberry bush, viburnum, hydrangea, pieris, weigelia, cosmos, rudbeckia, dicentra, gaillardia, peony, ....

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by peppereater on March 14, 2006 06:21 AM
Hey, WAIT! Can you incorporate one or more of the yews in for evergreen interest? I love them. If they're way overgrown, though...
Rugby's ideas are good...
How about hostas? Most bulbs will work if they get some bright or direct light in spring. Ladys' mantle, veronica, lilly of the valley. Forsythia, mock orange.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by TheGardenerGuy on March 14, 2006 09:10 AM
We were thinkning about that but the yews are HUGE..I think it will take a bulldozer to get them out...
We have hostas around in there that we could use...I would like to add the Patriot and Sum and Substance ones.. [thinker]
Thought about ferns but maybe too much green...
The burgundy weeping japanese maple should add some visual interest at the end of the bed..The north side of the house shouldn't scorch the leaves.
I need to go software shopping...i want it to look A++.
Thanks for the suggestions...You all are always so helpful... [Smile] [wavey]
Greg [gabby]

-  -
by joclyn on March 14, 2006 11:38 AM
hydrangea are really nice and they're perfect for a north facing spot - as long as it's fairly shady.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Flowering Shrubs for July| Next thread: Flowering stopped »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: