The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dwarf pomegranate

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by peppereater on March 04, 2006 12:21 AM
Do pomegranates flower on old wood or new? I need to prune a dwarf pomegranate, but don't know if it requires pruning after flowering or now. Anyone know?

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by jonni13 on March 04, 2006 01:27 AM
I'm not sure if this helps, but my flowering pomegranite is budding up on last years wood. I have books here. I'll see if this is included.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by jonni13 on March 04, 2006 01:33 AM
Punica granatum "Prune in late dormant season"
I hope this is helpful.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
by peppereater on March 04, 2006 01:39 AM
Perfect! That would be now. Thanks so much, Tina! Does yours get the orange/red colored blooms? Post some pics for us all when it blooms... [thumb]

-
Dave
by jonni13 on March 04, 2006 01:47 AM
Will do.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
by tkhooper on March 04, 2006 10:03 PM
I love pomegranite. I envy you all being able to grow them. Good luck and I hope you have a bountiful harvest.

-
 -
by peppereater on March 04, 2006 10:29 PM
I came across an interesting fact while I was searching the web...every pomegranate has exactly 365 seeds...the number of days in the year!

-
Dave
by melcon6 on March 04, 2006 10:46 PM
oh, Dave, I don't believe it! [nutz] Now I've got to go get me one and count them. [lala] Actually, I'll have my kids count them! [thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by tkhooper on March 05, 2006 09:26 PM
Are there any leap year pomegrantes? lol

-
 -
by flycats on March 07, 2006 05:06 AM
OOPS mine is already leafing..I guess I should have pruned it a few months ago? I'm in zone 8-9. It actually never dropped all of it's old leaves. I guess winter wasn't cold enough. Will I still get blooms?

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by papito on March 09, 2006 05:07 AM
I have five 15 y.o. Poms in plastic containers. All are leafing out now. Three are Nana and two are Wonderful.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by peppereater on March 09, 2006 05:48 AM
flycats, my guess is you'll still get blooms. Papito, is the fruit of Nana useful? I know they're small...

-
Dave
by gardenmom32210 on March 09, 2006 08:27 PM
Do poms have to reach a certain age before they start producing?

I started a few from seeds last year and they are now about 3 feet tall. They didn't flower last year,but would love to see them bloom this year.
by papito on March 10, 2006 06:37 AM
quote:
is the fruit of Nana useful? I know they're small...
The leaves of Nana variety are narrower, the flowers are smaller and fruits are about [2"-3"] the size of a Nutmeg. Are the fruits useful? It is not edible, therefore, there is only an interest as ornamental tree. My Poms are lined against the backyard fence.

quote:
Do poms have to reach a certain age before they start producing?
Poms start bearing fruits after 5-6 years. Blooms appear in late spring or early summer; the fruits takes 6-7 months to ripen after flowering.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by peppereater on March 11, 2006 12:38 AM
That's too bad that the nana fruit isn't edible.
There was a standard pomegranate that was utterly loaded with fruit in a yard where I was working last fall...I meant to pick some, but forgot and left without any! [nutz]
I think I'll buy a few trees...anyplace you'd suggest buying them from?

-
Dave

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: