The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dogwood Trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Dogwood Problem| Next thread: dogwood trees »
Back to Thread index
by LilacLover on February 26, 2006 08:24 AM
I just bought some Dogwood Trees. I live in NC in a low line area. Will they get drowned really bad in a lot of standing water? I love them so much. also is it too early to plant them? And do they require fertilyzer now or wait until Spring? They are doormat. Im new to this plant thing and so Im still learning.

Mark
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 08:32 AM
Make sure they get some drainage. Plant on a slope or build a mound. Plant them as soon as possible, and do not fertilize at all the first year. They will not tolerate clay well, either. Please check back, others here may have some more information, and you should also give us any other details you have...the more we know, the more we can help!

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by LilacLover on February 26, 2006 09:13 AM
Don't fertilize this year? I thought all plants need it when you first set them out in the Spring? These trees were 3 gallon trees young trees from Walmart.
Do I need to just water them this year then? And not fertilize them?

Mark
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 09:45 AM
Yes. When you transplant a tree, it needs time to get established. Most fertilizers contain nitrogen, whick aids green growth. It's best for the tree to adjust to it's new environment before you stimulate new growth. If you do anything, use a root stimulator, but I suggest you let the tree "rest." Any fertilizer will put demands on the tree to grow roots, flowers, or green growth. The plant needs to get used to it's new location...in fact, plants in containers really need to adjust to the new soil they're in. It absolutely will not hurt a thing, and more likely will help, to just let them get settled in for a year. In fact, chemical fertilizers can make a plant of any kind grow at an unnaturally fast rate which can make it susceptible to all sorts of pest/disease/environmental problems. The most important thing is to make sure you don't overwater or underwater...and NEVER

-
Dave
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 09:56 AM
OOps! Overfertilize...the healthiest plants, in my opinion, are grown organically. Too much fertilizer can STRESS a tree or any plant, and that's when you can really have problems.

-
Dave
by LilacLover on February 26, 2006 10:09 AM
Makes sense. Do you suspect my Dogwood will bloom the first year? Its a three gallon...small tree. Also does that rule about not fertilyzing apply to most plants when you first set them out?

Mark
by LilacLover on February 26, 2006 10:11 AM
Whats the difference between a root stimulator and fertilyzer?

Mark
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 10:50 AM
Well, root stimulator usually is vitamin B complex, with stuff like phosphorous and/or hormones. Fertizer usually is nitrogen/phosphorous/potassium plus whatever else.
A dogwood will bloom this year if it already has buds...big buds on the stems. A 3 gallon tree should have bloom buds, but not nescessarily. It may take up to 2 years before it blooms, but the large pot, most likely you'll have blooms this year.
If you have pictures, I/we can give you more info.!
Stick with us and we'll help all we can!

-
Dave
by LilacLover on February 26, 2006 10:56 AM
I definately will stick with you guys.
Thanks! Any name brand root stimulator good for trees? In other words at Lowes or Walmart what do I look for?

Mark
by LilacLover on February 26, 2006 11:02 AM
Also isn't it wise to wait until Spring before watering the trees regularly? They're still doormat afterall.

Mark
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 12:12 PM
Oh, no,no, no. Just water well when you plant, then depending on how dry or hot the weather is, water every 2 to 4 weeks. Just so long as the soil doesn't get bone dry...We're in a severe drought here, but I'm only watering every month or so while they're dormant. New plantings need a bit more, if you're having drought, or high temps.

-
Dave
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 12:14 PM
AND...don't worry about fertilizing. I'd be much nore concerned abour the soil you have...Clay? Sand? Let us know.

-
Dave
by LilacLover on February 26, 2006 12:32 PM
My soil is what they call heavy soil. Its not sand nor clay. It is black heavy soil. Pine trees grow good in it I know that. We have dug Dogwoods up from the woods before and they never lived in our yard we think its due to too wet those years? we had never bought one and tried it. So last week I bought two. I'm trying one behind my house and one in front and see. I also bought a Weeping Willow Tree/ Any special rule to those? They say they LOVE water? So I know if thats true they'll love my yard.

Mark
by peppereater on February 26, 2006 12:42 PM
okay, I'm checking out for tonight, but I'll check in tomorrow. You're right, the willows love water...can't go wrong...Okay if we chat more tomorrow?

-
Dave
by LilacLover on February 26, 2006 11:50 PM
I have Webtv so I might cant use chat here...but drop me an email.

Mark

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dogwood Problem| Next thread: dogwood trees »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: