The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Winterizing Container Plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Angie R. on October 29, 2006 05:54 AM
Hi all,

I am new to the forum but have been a gardener for about 12 years. I just moved to Concord, CA from Minneapolis and it is a HUGE change in my gardening life. The zones is obviously a huge one, but I have also gone from in ground gardening in several, large yard gardens to having a town home and patios. While I have taken several of my favorites from Minneapolis and I am trying them out in various forms of pots this season ( my first here) I am stuck when it comes to getting things ready for winter. It will obviously be less intensive than preparing for a zone 4 winter, but I am specifically looking for is how to handle my Gardenia and Hibiscus plants for the winter.
Any help is very much appreciated!!!

Thank you

The new kid on the block
by Deborah L. on October 30, 2006 10:09 AM
Hi Angie-welcome to California !
You shouldn't have to do anything special to your potted plants for winter here.
Just food, water and sunshine. No more care than any container plant really. The gardenia would appreciate misting and as much humidity as you can give it.
I lightly feed all of my container garden year round.
Of course, if you get a frost, you can move the pots to a roofed area or cover them with a sheet.
I wasn't quite sure what you mean, but there's no special thing to do to the plants.
I wish you every happiness in your new home !

-
 -

Active Garden Forum