The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Green hydrangea flower petals

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Green houses| Next thread: Green hydrangea petals »
Back to Thread index
by SarahR2002 on May 27, 2006 10:43 AM
My hydrangea needs help! The plant started out nice and purple. Now it's pink and turning green. It looks like mold or mildew on the petals. I live in Richmond VA and bought this plant at Lowes. I moved it from it's original small pot to a large pot with potting soil. I bought Miracid today and hope it will do the trick. I've attached a picture so you can see what it looks like. Do you think I can save it? Thanks! Sarah
 -
by joclyn on May 27, 2006 11:48 AM
some types of hydrangea can be manipulated to change the color of the blooms.

some also change color as the blooms age.

since you've repotted it, yours could be either.

it could be that it was forced to bloom and that the blooms are done and in the process of dieing.

do you still have the tag that was on it? can you tell us the name of it?
by SarahR2002 on May 27, 2006 03:47 PM
I don't have the tag and I don't know the name. I have a bad feeling a bought a force bloom. Can I cut off the blooms and see if the plant lives? Thanks for your help! Sarah
by Longy on May 27, 2006 06:22 PM
Hydrangea love a good pruning. Cut back to a strong node when you do so. I'm not sure of the timing for pruning though. Perhaps put this query in the 'plants and flowers' forum. Lotsa hydrangea guru's up there.

-
The secret is the soil.
by joclyn on May 28, 2006 03:15 PM
i think you'll be fine if you dead-head the blooms. are you going to keep it in a pot or put it in the ground?

remember, hydrangea are VERY thirsty!!! keep it well watered!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Green houses| Next thread: Green hydrangea petals »
Back to Thread index