The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hanging basket of flowers for FULL SUN!???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: HandShake| Next thread: hanging begonia »
Back to Thread index
by ND farm girl on August 03, 2006 12:29 PM
I have a sun room and every year I attempt to put 2 hanging baskets outside the window and every year I end up tossing them out. I want something that flowers, but I can't seem to pick the right ones. This is full sun all day. This year I tried Million Bells - like small petunias, but they just dried out. I watered them twice a day even! Had the hanging basket with the reservoir on the bottom so that was full of water too! Any ideas? [dunno]

PattyM
by patches1414 on August 03, 2006 09:15 PM
ND, I've always had real good luck with petunias and also with the Ivy Geraniums (not in the same basket) in my hanging baskets in full sun. [Wink] Last year, I decided to try the "Wave" petunias in one of my hanging baskets and I thought they would be awesome, but I really wasn't as pleased as I was with the regular ones. [Frown] As an added bonus, I always had a lot of hummingbirds coming to the baskets with the petunias. [clappy] [clappy] [thumb]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by ND farm girl on August 04, 2006 12:20 AM
Thanks! I'll try that next year.

PattyM
by daylily77 on August 04, 2006 01:27 AM
Have you ever tried Vinca? I have some Pacifica Orchid Halo and its BEAUTIFUL and loves full sun! It flowers like crazy when getting full sun. Here are a couple pics of it (before transplanting):

-

-
by ND farm girl on August 04, 2006 03:35 AM
Uuuu - I like those! Thanks!

PattyM
by penny in ontario on August 04, 2006 04:28 AM
another suggestion is geraniums...they are very drought tolerant and look nice too, any type of ivy would be pretty in it as well.
good luck.

-
 -

-
by loz on August 04, 2006 08:33 AM
Ummm, PORTULACAS!!!!

They rock for full sun and are drought tolerant! [thumb]

-
by penny in ontario on August 04, 2006 12:10 PM
Marigolds are another good choice too.

-
 -

-
by Karrie on August 04, 2006 02:48 PM
I mixed petunias and vican. They look good. They are in full sun and do goood. They are looking peeked right now due to the heat, but they are thriving. I will snap a pic of that planter tomorrow and show it to you.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on August 04, 2006 03:33 PM
HELLO!

I have the same problem with hanging baskets in the sun...I have found that Bacopa and Nasturtiums are wonderful for hanging baskets in the sun...also...add water retaining polymeres to your soil...that should help the plant when the temps get out of control hot!!! also...I water mine daily...just a bit... to combat the evaporation and they are still blooming beautifully. Also...the nice thing is, both bacopa and nasturtiums trail over the edges...so they get that lovely flowing look!!!Oh! and the Hummingbirds seem to love the red nasturtiums as well! Don't forget, if the basket is close to the Kitchen... you can eat the leaves and flowers of the nasturtiums in salads! They are gorgeous! But...I usually leave mine [Big Grin] . Hope this helps!!! : [wavey]

Cheers!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL
by ND farm girl on August 05, 2006 03:55 PM
I have been getting so many great ideas in just the few days I have been registered here. Is there a 'folder' or 'file' where I can copy and past pictures or ideas/responses, or do you just jot them down?

PattyM
by ND farm girl on August 05, 2006 03:56 PM
Loz - you sure like your PORTULACAS! What is the other name for them? Rosemoss? My mother commented on them when we toured 16 gardens this summer. I've never had them, but they are on my list for next year!

PattyM
by loz on August 05, 2006 04:05 PM
quote:
Loz - you sure like your PORTULACAS!
[Big Grin] [thumb] That's right, I LOVE them!!!! They are in my top five fav. list...I'll always have them in my garden! I just love their vibrant colors.....and their pretty flowers.

Moss Rose is the common name..... [thumb]

Well, you could open your notepad on your computer and jot things down in there....I do that a lot. In your accesories on the start bar. [thumb]
by weezie13 on August 06, 2006 04:11 PM
For hanging baskets you can also mix up some
polymere crystals in the dirt and mix in the BOTTOM HALF of your potting mix..
*put regular potting mix/soil at the top..*
Those crystals hold water and you want the roots to go DOWN, not up, and if they are up, going towards the surface, they'll dry out..*

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by melcon6 on August 07, 2006 12:17 AM
Also , check the size of your hanging basket. Alot of times they are in a small 8" basket . Even the 10's can dry out fast. I would go with a "super 10" and make sure the problem is truly underwatering and not OVERwatering. Let the soil dry out between waterings. And definitely the portulaca would be a great choice, they don't require too much water, and the colorful vincas they have out are great too.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on August 12, 2006 10:22 PM
HELLO WEEZIE,

Thanks for the tip about the water polymeres!!! I was worried about that!?! Have you had any trouble since you mixed yours into the bottom half of your containers? Just wondering?

Cheers!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: HandShake| Next thread: hanging begonia »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: