The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Perennial plants in containers?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: perennial hybiscus| Next thread: Perennial Sweet Peas »
Back to Thread index
by netwiz on July 15, 2006 05:02 AM
I have a lot of shady areas in my back yard with rocky clay soil. I plan to amend the soil, one bed at a time, but won't be finished until next year. If I plant shade perennials in containers will they return next year? Which type of container is best for the plants? I hope to fill the areas with containers for now and transplant everything once the soil is amended. Any advice is appreciated!

Joanne
by tkhooper on July 16, 2006 01:44 AM
You may want to bury the pots in the soil. In order to protect the roots from cold temperatures. Other than that it should work just fine. As long as you bury the pots in the ground I don't think it's going to matter what kind of pot they are in. But someone will know much better than me.

-
 -
by Mrs.Bradley on July 16, 2006 07:04 AM
I decided to plant into the ground,finally rather than have everything I own on the deck,but the plants I couldn't bear to part with should we ever move, I kept in pots. such as blue star creeper. I just buried it pot and all in my clay soil. that way, if we leave, I wont stress it by digging it up.
burying the pot was a great idea.so if you dont want to wait,like me, keep the containers,just bury them.=)

-
 -
by netwiz on July 16, 2006 10:37 AM
Thank you for the advice Tkhooper and Mrs. Bradley. Should I repot into larger pots first to make sure there is room for root growth or do you think they should be fine in the original? I will probably check each one and just judge on how root bound they look. I can't wait to start shopping for shade plants now!!!

Joanne

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: perennial hybiscus| Next thread: Perennial Sweet Peas »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: