The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Tomato leaves getting yelow - please help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Deepanwita on June 12, 2006 02:46 AM
My Sweet 100 and celebrety tomato plants were very healthy until recently. But now all of a sudden the leaves are starting to get yellow. The sweet 100 plant is bearing alot of fruits though. Also the celebrety plant leaves have some white marks on them. Can you please tell me how I can get rid of those? Also what is causing the yellowing of leaves? Iput some some soil into the pots fering they were not getting enough soil. Also Iwater them twice a day. The temp he is getting close to 97deg, can it be the heat? I also put some miracle grow all purpose plant fertilizer today. Please help me!

Thanks
Deepanwita

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/deepanwita/Garden_2006/
by Chrissy on June 12, 2006 06:02 AM
I know there can be several reasons a tomato plant will get yellow leaves. Blight can cause that, as can other diseases & pests, but in my experience it has usually been too much water.

-
 -
z5b
by Longy on June 12, 2006 07:08 AM
Tomatoes often tend to yellow from the bottom up, as part of the aging process. They're an annual plant after all.Is this what's happening? Or is it all over the plants? You'll probably find they will decline as the season progresses. Where i live i get wilts toward the end of the growing season and i've found i can slow these down with bordeaux spray. I usually just remove the yellowing parts anyway.

Are the white marks on the leaves like little silvery/white trails?

-
The secret is the soil.
by Deepanwita on June 12, 2006 11:23 AM
Yeah, Longy, I gues its the aging proce [Frown] . Hate to see thoe yellow leaves though. And yes, the white marks ARE little ilvery/white trail [Frown] . Does it mean something serious?

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/deepanwita/Garden_2006/
by weezie13 on June 12, 2006 03:38 PM
Sometimes if the water you're watering
drains toooooooooooo fast, the plant can't
absorb any nutrients, either in the soil or
the fertilizer you give it..

Maybe water once, and put a tray under the
container...so, it sits in it a wee bit, and then
is moist, then dump in a couple of hours..
and then not water again to the following day??
????????????????????????????????????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Deborah L. on June 12, 2006 04:45 PM
Deep, that's exactly what my tomatoes have ALWAYS done, been fine, been gorgeous, and then poof-yellowing at the bottom and going up.
But they still continued to bear.
Longy, interesting point, that they're just aging.
What though, would cause a black color on the underneaths of the yellowing leaves, and then the plant turns brown and croaks?

-
 -
by Longy on June 12, 2006 06:08 PM
the white marks ARE little ilvery/white trail . Does it mean something serious?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's probably leaf miner. They don't harm the plant as such, just make the leaves look a bit unsightly. I don't worry about them, though i don't generally get them on tomatoes, usually my citrus get a savaging. Byt he time you muck about and get rid of these types of things, the season is over and the plants are dieing off anyway.
-----------------------------------------------
What though, would cause a black color on the underneaths of the yellowing leaves, and then the plant turns brown and croaks?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
That sounds like what i called wilt. Verticillium wilt is a common problem with tomatoes. Though not having seen the plant, it could be any number of things, mostly viral, bacterial or fungal.
Have a look here and see if you can find your exact symptoms. Once you get these problems, the best thing is to plant the crop elsewhere next season. Also, don't plant other solanum plants (potatoes, eggplant, etc) in that area for a few years either as this just allows the disease to have a place to survive indefinitely. Normal crop rotation principles help to keep these problems minimized. There are also varieties that are resistant to some of these problems, so planting these, practising crop rotation and disposing of infected plant matter in a fire or in the garbage disposal is the best way to keep the problems in check.

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: